Pre-Admission Content Test
A Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) can be used for admission to an alternative certification or post-baccalaureate educator preparation program. Tests taken through the PACT route are currently the same tests used for certification.
When is PACT Required?
Law requires a candidate to take and pass a PACT for admission into an EPP in the following cases:
- If the candidate has a GPA below a 2.5 or
- If the candidate has not completed at least 12 semester credit hours in the subject area of the certificate the candidate is seeking (15 hours if seeking certification in math or science above 7th grade).
A PACT is not required for candidates who meet the 2.5 GPA and have completed a minimum of either 12 or 15 semester credit hours of coursework. Educator preparation programs may have local policies that require a candidate to pass a PACT as a requirement for admission, but those policies are local decisions. When considering a preparation program, candidates should ask that program whether the program requires PACT.
Additional information on choosing an EPP can be found on the Choosing an Educator Preparation Program page and how to become a certified teacher can be found on the Becoming a Classroom Teacher page.
PACT Candidate Information
A candidate may take a PACT under the following conditions:
- You must hold, a bachelor’s degree or be within the last semester of receiving a bachelor’s degree to register for a PACT.
- You have never been admitted to a Texas approved EPP, or you have been admitted but are transferring to a different EPP. If you are transferring to a different EPP, your current EPP must complete a Candidate Transfer Form. Submit your completed candidate transfer form through a Help Desk ticket for assistance to activate PACT approval.
- Note: If PACT approval is restored by TEA so that you may transfer to a new EPP, you may not return to an EPP in which you were previously enrolled.
PACT Test Registration
If you do not have a TEA ID number, do not create an educator profile on TEA:
- Go to the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program website to register.
- Select Register Now.
- Select Create an account now.
- Continue with Creating Your Pearson Testing Account. A TEA profile and ID will be generated when you select "No" to "Do you have a TEA ID?".
If you already have a TEA ID, contact TEA Educator Testing by submitting a Help Desk ticket to have PACT approval added to your existing record.
PACT-Eligible Praxis Tests
Ten Praxis tests, which are administered by ETS, have been designated for PACT purposes; however, not all EPPs accept these Praxis tests for admission purposes. Furthermore, passing a Praxis PACT test will not count toward certification, so a candidate would still need to pass the required Texas certification examination. Candidates should check with the EPP they are interested in joining to verify if the Praxis PACT tests can be used for admission purposes. More information about the Praxis PACT tests is available on the ETS website.
Submit a ticket through the TEA Help Desk by clicking the following icon: