Public Information Requests

The Public Information Act (PIA) gives the public the right to request access to government information.  The request must ask for information already in existence. The PIA does not require TEA to create new information, perform legal searches, or answer general questions.
Members of the media should send general inquiries that are not formal public information requests to the Communications Division at (512) 463-9000 or

Certificate, transcript and verification requests for High School Equivalency assessments, formerly known as the GED, may be sent to TEA’s Texas Initiatives unit.

General assistance and general questions may be emailed to

To Request Information

Before you submit a public information request, please review our website. The information you are seeking may be available on the TEA website or through one of the contacts listed above.

To request information from TEA, submit your request:

Online to: Online Request Form, which sends requests directly to the designated PIR email address.  

By mail or in person to:

Texas Education Agency
Public Information Office
1701 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701

By email to: 
By fax to: (512) 463-1022

If you need  special accommodation pursuant to the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact our Public Information Office at (512) 463-3464.

Student Records

Pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), requests for student records require the submission of a written consent form (PDF, 615 KB). You can also download a Word version of the consent form. Note: Only student information from the 1990-1991 school year to the present is available.

Student records for Texas public schools only that are maintained by TEA include:

  • Confirmation of Texas high school graduation;
  • Student course information for grades 9-12 for regular fall and spring semesters;
  • A list of Texas schools and the years the student attended.

Please note that TEA does not maintain:

  • Student diplomas;
  • Student transcripts;
  • Summer school or correspondence course attendance information.

The following student request should be made directly to the office that maintains the information.

Requests for Certificate of High School Equivalency (TxCHSE) – the GED test, the HiSET exam and the TASC test, please visit the Certificate of High School Equivalency Information webpage or call (512) 463-7162 for assistance.

Sending Files Securely to TEA

A requestor who needs to send confidential information to the Texas Education Agency should do so through ShareFile:

The new TEA ShareFile service can be accessed via the TEA Employee Sign In at, using your email address and network password.  It is highly recommended to install the Citrix Files for Windows/Mac and Citrix Files for Outlook applications for more convenient file access and sharing.  Please review the document Getting Started with ShareFile Guide for Users for screenshots and detailed instructions for usage. 


Additional Resources

Tips for making a public information request (outside source)

Lev de Información Pública (outside source)

For questions, complaints and enforcement of the Public Information Act, contact the Attorney General Open Records Division.

Open Government Hotline (Staff can answer questions about the Public Information Act and Open Meetings Act.: (512) 478-OPEN (6736) or (877) OPEN-TEX (673-6839)

 Open Government Cost Hotline (Staff can answer questions about charges relating to the Public Information Act.) (512) 475-2497 or (888) OR-COSTS (672-6787)