The TEA Governmental Relations team manages the agency’s communications and interactions with the Texas Legislature, the Office of the Governor, elected officials, other state agencies, and stakeholder groups. Our office handles all legislative inquiries, monitors legislative hearings as well as prepares TEA staff to provide testimony when requested. Additionally, Governmental Relations tracks and analyses all education related legislation from bill introduction through implementation.
Program and Budget Rider One Pagers
- Additional Days School Year
- Best Buddies - Rider 66
- Blended Learning Grant - Rider 40 and Rider 76
- Communities in Schools - Rider 22
- Complaints Process
- Dual Language Immersion Framework
- edTPA: Teacher Certification
- Foster Care Education
- Grow Your Own
- HB 4545 Tutoring
- Mentor Program Allotment
- Military Connected Students
- Mobile STEM Lab - Rider 73
- Recorded Instructional Materials
Legislative Required Reports
The Texas Education Agency is required to provide reports on a variety of topics to the Texas Legislature. Reports to the 88th Legislature can be found at the Legislative Reports page. Previous reports to prior Legislative Sessions may be obtained through our Legislative Report Archive.
Legislative Hearings and Presentations
- Senate Finance Committee Hearing - Legislative Appropriations Request for the 88th Session
- House Appropriations Committee Hearing - Rider 81 and Rider 82
- House Appropriations Committee on LAR
Legislative Session Briefing Book
After each Legislative Session, the Texas Education Agency produces a briefing book that describes new legislation that impacts public education. This briefing book is intended to be a high-level overview, and it is recommend researching the actual bill for specific language.
- 87th-Briefing Book (PDF 5.2 MB)
- 86th Briefing Book (PDF 3537KB)
- 85th Briefing Book (PDF 886KB)
- 84th Briefing Book (PDF 1036KB)
School Finance Reports and Data
- General Information on state funding can be found here.
- Information on state funding reports and data can be found here.
- One-Pagers on Specific school finance topics can be found here.
- Information on specific school system financial data can be found here.
- Information on the Texas Commission on Public School Finance can be found here.
The 87th Texas Legislature passed 3 bills that required the formation of the following three Commissions and Committee:
- House Bill 3643: Texas Commission on Virtual Education
- House Bill 1525: Texas Commission on Special Education Funding
- House Bill 2497: 1836 Project Advisory Committee
House Bill 3
House Bill 3 is a sweeping and historic school finance bill that was passed by the 86th Texas Legislature in 2019 and signed by Gov. Gregg Abbott. To read more about the bill visit our House Bill 3 page.
Please contact (email@example.com) with any legislative inquiries.
Agency: (512) 463-9734
Governmental Relations: (512) 463-9682
1701 N. Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78701
Hunter Thompson, Director
Sarah Harrington, Deputy Director
Nicole Wren, Specialist