Dyslexia and Related Disorders
Texas has a long history of supporting the fundamental skill of reading. This history includes a focus on early identification and intervention for students with dyslexia. This page includes resources to assist in identifying and providing services for students with dyslexia and related disorders in Texas schools. In addition to this page, information is available through the State Dyslexia Coordinator, ESC Dyslexia Network Coordinator, the dyslexia contacts at each of the 20 regional education service centers and the helpline. We welcome any suggestions you may have that will improve this page.
The Texas Dyslexia Handbook is developed and adopted into administrative rule by the Texas State Board of Education. The handbook contains guidelines for school districts to follow as they identify and provide services for students with dyslexia. In addition, information regarding the state's dyslexia statutes and their relation to various federal laws is included.
On September 3rd, 2021, the State Board of Education (SBOE) gave final approval for updates to the Dyslexia Handbook. Some of the updates to the Dyslexia Handbook may require LEAs to make policy, procedure, and practice changes. LEAs were informed of these changes in a To The Administrator Addressed letter in September, 2021 so that they could be well positioned to be in compliance once the changes went into effect.
The updated Texas Dyslexia Handbook, linked below, is in effect as of February 10th, 2022.
- Texas Dyslexia Handbook 2021
- Texas Dyslexia Handbook 2021 (Spanish version)
- Appendix A - Dyslexia Handbook FAQ (Updated October 2022)
- Appendix A- Dyslexia Handbook FAQ (Spanish) (October 2022)
Additional appendices will be posted as they are finalized and become available.
2021 Handbook Resources:
- Dyslexia Handbook 2021 Updates Webinar-Oct. 14, 2021
- Dyslexia Handbook 2021 Updates PDF – Oct. 14, 2021
- Dyslexia Handbook 2021 Update: Information for Families Webinar – Nov. 18, 2021
- Dyslexia Handbook 2021 Update: Information for Families PDF – Nov. 18, 2021
- EL Manual De Dislexia Actualización 2021: Información para familias Webinar -Nov. 18, 2021
- EL Manual De Dislexia Actualización 2021: Información para familias PDF -Nov. 18, 2021
- The Dyslexia Handbook 2021 Update: Important Changes for Families to Understand – March 31, 2022
- Actualización del manual de dislexia 2021: CAMBIOS IMPORTANTES QUE LAS FAMILIAS DEBEN ENTENDER – March 31, 2022
- Services for Students With Dyslexia and Coding Instructional Arrangements (August 2022)
- House Bill 3 Dyslexia Allotment Spending Guidance
- Dyslexia PEIMS Coding Overview
- Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, and Dyscalculia in the IEP Guidance Document
- Dyslexia and Related Disorders in the IEP (PowerPoint)
- Dyslexia and Related Disorders Reporting Study
To The Administrator Addressed Correspondence (TAA):
- TAA: Updates to Program Intent Codes for the Dyslexia Allotment - July 2, 2020
- TAA: Updates to Dyslexia Handbook: Procedures Concerning Dyslexia and Related Disorders (Dyslexia Handbook) -September 23, 2021
- TAA: Senate Bill 89 and Dyslexia Handbook 2021 Training and Communication Requirements – March 31, 2022
- TAA: Dyslexia Screening Exception Reason in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS) – March 31, 2022
Division of Special Education Programs
Michelle Reeves M.Ed., LDT, CALT
State Dyslexia Coordinator
Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division