TEKS Review and Revision
The State Board of Education (SBOE) has legislative authority to adopt the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. The SBOE periodically reviews and revises the TEKS for each subject area. Subscribe to updates from TEA.
For each TEKS subject-area review, the SBOE approves educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on TEKS review work groups. Work groups make recommendations to the SBOE for revisions to the TEKS. The SBOE’s TEKS review and revision process requires the board to determine for each subject area the scope of each review, either a full revision or a streamlining of the standards.
A full revision of the TEKS consists of reviewing and modifying the existing standards or developing new standards for a particular subject area or career and technical education (CTE) Career Cluster. A full revision is conducted to ensure that the standards are rigorous, reflect current topics and up-to-date research, and address the essential knowledge and skills at the appropriate grade levels. The TEKS may undergo significant or minimal changes during a full revision, depending on the needs of the subject area and the condition of the existing standards. The SBOE typically calls for instructional materials aligned to the revised TEKS after a full revision of the standards.
Streamlining the standards refers to reducing the content required to be mastered by students during an instructional year or prior to a relevant summative state assessment, when applicable. The goal of streamlining is to ensure the standards are focused on only the knowledge and skills that are essential in each course/grade level. Streamlining should produce fewer and clearer standards that are teachable in the time allotted without diluting the rigor of the standards. At the discretion of the SBOE, streamlining may be limited to only certain grade levels and courses. Because streamlining focuses on reducing and not adding content, the SBOE does not call for new instructional materials aligned to streamlined TEKS.
TEKS Review Resources
- TEKS Review Process, 2018 (PDF, 503KB) (Approved November 2018)
This document outlines the process used for the review and revision of the TEKS for all subject areas except for career and technical education (CTE).
- CTE TEKS Review Process, 2022 (PDF, 597KB) (Approved November 2022)
This document outlines the process used for the review and revision of the career and technical education (CTE) TEKS.
- TEKS and Instructional Materials Working Document (PDF, 119KB) (Updated April 2021)
This document shows the general calendar of planned activities for the review and adoption of the TEKS and instructional materials from 2019-2020 through 2030-2031.
- TEKS Review Process with Administrative Procedures (PDF, 230KB) (Updated June 2023)
This document outlines the steps in the SBOE-approved TEKS review process along with internal administrative procedures that are followed to implement each step.
- Work Group Build Process (PDF, 131KB) (Approved April 2023)
This document outlines the SBOE-approved process for selecting and building TEKS review work groups.
The TEKS implementation webpage shows the implementation schedule for new and revised TEKS.
The following web page provides additional information about the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) review and revision process.
Subject Area Reviews
The following web pages provide additional information about the TEKS review and revision process by subject area.
- 2023 CTE TEKS Review
- 2021-2022 Social Studies TEKS Review
- Technology Applications TEKS Review, Kindergarten–Grade 8
- Career and Technical Education TEKS Review: Education and Training, Health Science, and STEM
- Science TEKS Review
- Health Education TEKS Review
- Physical Education TEKS Review
- Social Studies TEKS Streamlining
- Science TEKS Streamlining
- English Language Arts and Reading TEKS Review
- Spanish Language Arts and Reading and English as a Second Language TEKS Review
- Career and Technical Education TEKS
- Languages Other Than English TEKS Review
- Fine Arts TEKS Review
- Mathematics TEKS Review
- Technology Applications TEKS Review
- 2009-2010 Social Studies TEKS Review
- English Language Arts Electives TEKS Review