TELPAS Alternate Resources
The Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS) Alternate is a holistic inventory aligns to the Texas English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPs); however, TELPAS Alternate is based on alternate proficiency level descriptors. This assessment is designed to address the specific access needs of emergent bilingual (EB) students in grades 2–12 with the most significant cognitive disabilities. TELPAS Alternate fulfills the requirements of the federal Every Student Succeeds Act for assessing the English language proficiency of EB students with the most significant cognitive disabilities.
TELPAS Alternate holistically assesses EB students in grades 2–12 in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Who Is Tested?
An EB student's admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) committee, in conjunction with the language proficiency assessment committee (LPAC), must determine if the student meets the participation requirements for TELPAS Alternate. All EB students enrolled in Texas public schools and open-enrollment charter schools in grades 2–12 who meet the participation requirements are required to participate in TELPAS Alternate. EB students are required to be assessed annually with an English language proficiency assessment until they meet EB reclassification criteria
- Updated TELPAS Alternate Participation Requirements
- Updated TELPAS Alternate Participation Requirements-Spanish
If an ARD committee determines that a student meets the eligibility criteria for "No Authentic Academic Response" (NAAR) or a "Medical Exception," the student will not be required to participate in TELPAS Alternate.
- STAAR Alternate 2 and TELPAS Alternate NAAR Eligibility Requirements
- STAAR Alternate 2 and TELPAS Alternate NAAR Eligibility Requirements-Spanish
- STAAR Alternate 2 and TELPAS Alternate Medical Exception Eligibility Requirements
- STAAR Alternate 2 and TELPAS Alternate Medical Exception Eligibility Requirements-Spanish
What Is Tested?
- TELPAS Alternate Observable Behaviors
- TELPAS Alternate Observable Behaviors and Classroom Examples
- TELPAS Alternate Blueprints
- TELPAS Alternate Glossary
What Is Reported?
- Proficiency Level Labels and Definitions
- 2022-2023 TELPAS Alternate Statewide Summary Reports
- Raw Score Conversion Tables
- 2021–2022 Frequency Distribution
What Other Information Is Available?
- Introduction to TELPAS Alternate
- TELPAS Alternate Student Eligibility
- TELPAS Alternate Accessibility
- TELPAS Alternate Listening Domain
- TELPAS Alternate Speaking Domain
- TELPAS Alternate Reading Domain
- TELPAS Alternate Writing Domain
- TELPAS Alternate Test Administration
- 2022–2023 Spring Updates for STAAR Alternate 2, TELPAS, and TELPAS Alternate
- 2022–2023 Fall Updates for STAAR Alternate 2, TELPAS, and TELPAS Alternate
- 2022 Title III Symposium TELPAS and TELPAS Alternate