Certification Based on Credentials from another Country
Who May Apply
Individuals who hold the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree granted by an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, who have completed an educator preparation program, including a teaching practicum, and who hold an appropriate educator certificate or credential issued by another country may apply for a review of out-of-country credentials.
You must apply for the review of out-of-country credentials and pay a $164 non-refundable fee.
- Create a TEAL user account.
- TEA will issue you a temporary number if you do not have an SSN. The temporary number allows you to create a TEA Login (TEAL) account and access the Educator Certification Online System (ECOS). Access to ECOS is needed to apply for a Review of Credentials.
- Submit an original course-by-course evaluation by a recognized foreign evaluation service. On the application form, indicate the “Texas Education Agency” for purpose of evaluation. The evaluation must be signed by an authorized representative of the evaluation service and must verify that the applicant:
- holds the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree granted by an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, including the month, day, and year that the degree was conferred
- has completed an educator preparation program, including teaching practicum
- holds an appropriate educator certificate or credential issued by another country, including the effective date and validity period of the certificate, certification areas, and grade levels
These organizations are members of either the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. or the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
- Center for Educational Documentation, Inc.
- Educational Perspectives
- Educational Records Evaluation Service
- Foreign Credential Evaluations, Inc.
- Foreign Credential Services of America
- Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- Global Education Group, Inc.
- Globe Language Services
- Institute of Foreign Credential Services (IFCS)
- International Academic Credential Evaluator, Inc
- International Education Research Foundation (IERF)
- International Evaluation Service
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
- Scholaro (formerly Foreign Credits, Inc.)
- SDR Educational Consultants
- SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
- World Education Services, Inc.
- Worldwide Education Consultant Services, Inc.
- Submit acceptable documentation of English language proficiency. Documentation of English language proficiency is evidenced by one of the following:
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States, not including U.S. Territories.
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree earned at an institution of higher education in a country outside of the United States approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
- Verification of minimum scaled scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language – Internet Based Test (TOEFL-iBT). To have scores submitted directly to TEA use the agency code 8225.
- Speaking 24
- Listening 22
- Reading 22
- Writing 21
Out-of-Country Application Check List
This detailed check list can be used to guide you through the entire review process. Please use the application check list for instructions on how to submit your documents to TEA.
Results of the Review
Once the review of credentials is completed you will receive a notification by email. The details of your review will be available online in your ECOS account in the Educator Main Menu under "My Documents".
The result of the review will include testing and English language proficiency requirements. It will also advise of your eligibility for a one-year, non-renewable certificate.
When viewing PDF documents, using Google Chrome is advised to ensure access.
The one-year certificate is a temporary, non-renewable certification that can be issued after your credentials are reviewed. This optional certificate is available to applicants who have had a successful review of credentials and need a credential issued for employment purposes. Issuance of a one-year certificate does not guarantee employment. You may apply for the one-year certificate at the same time as your review of credentials or after the review of credentials has been completed. Proof of English language proficiency may be required before the one-year certificate can be issued. Information on this requirement can be found in the letter containing details of your review in your ECOS account.
The standard certificate is issued to an individual who has completed all requirements for a Texas educator certificate. Upon completion of testing and proof of English language proficiency, if required, you may apply for the standard certificate in your ECOS account.
Social Security Number Required for Certification
Before a certificate can be issued, you must complete the fingerprinting process. To complete this process, you must first obtain a social security number. For more information on how to obtain a social security number, visit the Social Security Administration website.
Option 2-Educator Certification
Option 5-Educator Preparation Programs
Testing questions: (512) 463-9039
Please use the TEA Help Desk to submit your questions. Allow several business days for staff to respond to your ticket.