Bilingual and English as a Second Language Education Programs
The Emergent Bilingual Support Division provides direction and leadership with the implementation of Bilingual and English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs for emergent bilingual (EB) students/English learners (ELs).
Check out the Emergent Bilingual Student Web Portal TXEL.ORG for continuously updated resources for Teachers, Leaders, Parents & Families of Emergent Bilingual Students, and Community Partners.
Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) Guidance and Resources - Current School Year
- LPAC Framework Training and Resources
- Beginning-of-Year (BOY) LPAC Guidance Checklist
- Middle-of-Year (MOY) LPAC Guidance Checklist
- End-of-Year (EOY) LPAC Guidance Checklist
- Emergent Bilingual/ English Learner Reclassification Criteria Chart (English and Spanish)
- Emergent Bilingual Student Summer School Guidance
2022-2023 Emergent Bilingual Support Update Meetings with LEAs and ESCs
The TEA Emergent Bilingual Support Division welcomes Local Education Agencies (LEAs) and regional Education Service Centers (ESCs) to join our English Learner Support Update Meetings. See our EL Portal for dates, meeting links, presentations, and recordings.
Program Requirement Resources
These resources, tools, and web pages provide guidance on bilingual and English as a second language (ESL) program requirements:
- FAQ - LPAC and Emergent Bilingual Students/English Learners (Updated January 2023)
- Building Bilingual and English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs as a Local Education Agency (LEA)
- Guidance on Identification and Placement of English Learners Prior to Kindergarten (Updated November 2021)
- Allowable Use of Bilingual Education Allotment (state) and Title III, Part A (federal) Funds Side-By-Side Document
- LPAC Guidance for Deaf or Hard of Hearing English Learners and associated training video
- Bilingual Education Certification Pathways
- TSDS PEIMS Code Guide for Bilingual and ESL Program Association
- EB Student/EL Decision Chart for the LPAC with PEIMS codes (Updated November 2021)
Program Requirement Resource Web pages
- Framework Manual for the Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) Process (outside source)
- Guidance Related to ARD Committee and LPAC Collaboration
- Bilingual Education Exception and ESL Waiver Resources
- Single, Statewide Assessments for Emergent Bilingual Students
- Identification: Data Recognition Corporation (DRC) LAS Links Battery of Assessments (Texas-dedicated site)
- Reclassification (Academic Achievement Component - Grades 1, 2, 11, and 12): Riverside Insights, Iowa Assessments, Form F (Texas-dedicated site)
The TEA Emergent Bilingual Support Division has developed program implementation rubrics and associated tools to support LEAs with evaluating and enhancing their bilingual education and English as a Second Language (ESL) programs.
The following statutes relate to bilingual and English as a second language (ESL) programs:
- Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.051 -29.064 - Bilingual Education and ESL Programs
- Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 89. Adaptations for Special Populations Subchapter BB. Commissioner's Rules Concerning State Plan for Educating English Learners
Title III, Part A – English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement Act
Title III, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as reauthorized under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), aims to ensure that English learners (ELs) and immigrant students attain English proficiency and develop high levels of academic achievement in English. Title III will also assist all English learners meet the same challenging State academic standards that all children are expected to meet.
Division of Emergent Bilingual Support
Phone: (512) 463-9414
Julie Lara, Ph.D.
Director of Emergent Bilingual Support
Xochitl Anabel Rocha, Ed.D.
Bilingual/ESL Programs Manager
Bilingual Program Coordinator
Myrna R. Rasmussen, Ed.D.
Dual Language Coordinator
Special Populations Division
Texas Education Agency
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, Texas 78701-1401