Bilingual and English as a Second Language Education Programs
The English Learner Support Division provides direction and leadership with the implementation of Bilingual and English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs for English learners.
Check out the English Learner Web Portal TXEL.ORG for continuously updated resources for Teachers, Leaders, Parents & Families of English learners, and Community Partners.
Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) Guidance and Resources
- See TEA COVID-19 Support: Special Populations web page for continuously updated LPAC guidance for the 2020-2021 school year
- LPAC Framework Training and Resources
- 2020-2021 Beginning-of-Year (BOY) LPAC Guidance Checklist
- 2020-2021 Middle-of-Year (MOY) LPAC Guidance Checklist
- 2020-2021 End-of-Year (EOY) LPAC Guidance Checklist
- 2020-2021 English Learner Reclassification Criteria Chart
- Video: 2020-2021 English Learner Reclassification Guidance NEW
- Understanding English Learner Summer School Reporting for 2020 and 2021 NEW
2020-2021 English Learner Support Update Meetings with LEAs and ESCs
The TEA English Learner Support Division welcomes Local Education Agencies (LEAs) and regional Education Service Centers (ESCs) to join our English Learner Support Update Meetings. See our EL Portal for dates, meeting links, presentations, and recordings.
Program Requirement Resources
These resources, tools, and web pages provide guidance on bilingual and English as a second language (ESL) program requirements:
- FAQ for English Learners and LPAC (Updated August 2020)
- Building Bilingual and English as a Second Language (ESL) Programs as a Local Education Agency (LEA)
- Guidance on Identification and Placement of English Learners Prior to Kindergarten
- Allowable Use of Bilingual Education Allotment (state) and Title III, Part A (federal) Funds Side-By-Side Document
- LPAC Guidance for Deaf or Hard of Hearing English Learners and associated training video
- Bilingual Education Certification Pathways
- TSDS PEIMS for English Learners
Program Requirement Resource Web pages
- Framework Manual for the Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) Process (outside source)
- Guidance Related to ARD Committee and LPAC Collaboration
- Bilingual Education Exception and ESL Waiver Resources
- Single, Statewide Assessments for English Learners
Program Implementation Resources
The TEA English Learner Support Division is continuously developing program implementation resources for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) to utilize in providing effective bilingual education and English as a second language (ESL) programs for English Learners that meet and exceed state requirements.
English learner program implementation resources, including reviews of literature and program implementation rubrics associated tools, can be accessed through the English Learner Program Implementation Resources web page.
The following statutes relate to bilingual and English as a second language (ESL) programs:
- Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.051 -29.064 - Bilingual Education and ESL Programs
- Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 89. Adaptations for Special Populations Subchapter BB. Commissioner's Rules Concerning State Plan for Educating English Learners
Title III, Part A – English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement Act
Title III, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as reauthorized under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), aims to ensure that English learners (ELs) and immigrant students attain English proficiency and develop high levels of academic achievement in English. Title III will also assist all English learners meet the same challenging State academic standards that all children are expected to meet.
Division of English Learner Support
Phone: (512) 463-9414
Julie Lara, Ph.D.
Director of English Learner Support
Coordinator of English Learner Initiatives
ESL Program Coordinator
Bilingual Program Coordinator
Xochitl Anabel Rocha, Ed.D.
Dual Language Coordinator
Special Populations Division
Texas Education Agency
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, Texas 78701-1401