Superintendent Support: School Safety
Welcome to the superintendent support page for School Safety. Simply click on a category link below to be taken directly to those resources.
2022 - 2023 School Year
Educators across our state are committed to the safety of every student in the classroom and on their campuses. The Texas Education Agency shares that commitment and provides this listing of resources in support for achieving that goal.
Governor’s Office News Releases
Governor Abbott, Lt. Governor Patrick, Speaker Phelan, Senate Finance, House Appropriations Committee Chairs Announce Additional $874.6 Million For Public Safety Initiatives
Governor Greg Abbott, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, Speaker Dade Phelan, Senate Finance Committee Chair Joan Huffman, and House Appropriations Chair Dr. Greg Bonnen today announced the transfer of more than $874.6 million to support critical public safety and recovery initiatives, such as border security and school safety, during the current biennium.
Governor Abbott Announces New Chief Of School Safety And Security
Governor Greg Abbott announced John P. Scott as the new Chief of School Safety and Security within the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Governor Abbott Announces ALERRT Travel Assistance, Bullet-Resistant Shield Grant Program
Governor Greg Abbott today announced the Governor’s Public Safety Office (PSO) is accepting applications from law enforcement agencies for Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training (ALERRT) travel assistance and the Bullet-Resistant Shield Grant Program for fiscal year 2023.
- Request ALERRT Training Course
- ALERRT Training Cost Reimbursements (PDF)
- SH Ballistic Shields Announcement (PDF)
Governor Abbott, DPS Launch iWatchTexas PSA To Promote Reporting System
Governor Greg Abbott and the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) today launched a public service announcement to promote awareness of the iWatchTexas community reporting system as teachers, students, and school faculty across the state return to school for the new school year.
Chief of School Security
Governor Abbott Directs TEA To Create New Chief Of School Safety And Security Position
Governor Abbott Directs DPS, TEA, THECB To Expand And Accelerate Implementation Of iWatch Texas Program To Report Suspicious Activity
Safe and Secure Schools
Governor Abbott Directs TEA To Provide Strategies To Make Texas Public Schools Safer
Governor Abbott Directs HHSC To Ensure All Children In Uvalde Have Access To Behavioral Health Resources
School Safety Review
Governor Abbott Calls For Immediate School Safety Review Of Texas Public Schools
To The Administrator Addressed (TAAs)
- School Safety Standards Cost Estimates Collection (TAA) Updated December 8, 2022
- School Safety Standards (TAA) Updated November 3, 2022
- iWatchTexas School Safety (TAA) Updated August 16, 2022
- School Safety Requirements and Information (TAA) Updated July 21, 2022
- Required School Safety Training for School District Trustees Now Available on TEA Learn (TAA) Updated July 21, 2022
- Required School Safety Action Steps This Summer (TAA) Updated June 30, 2022
- Extension of School Safety and Security Grant (TAA) Updated June 30, 2022
School Safety Standards Rule Resources
- School Safety Updates Presentation (PDF) Updated November 17, 2022
- Proposed School Safety Standards Rule
- School Safety Highlight Overview Document (PDF) Updated November 3, 2022
- Proposed amendment to 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 61, School Districts, Subchapter CC, Commissioner’s Rules Concerning School Facilities, §61.1031, School Safety Requirements (PDF) Updated November 3, 2022
- School Safety Standards Cost Estimates
With the release of the proposed School Safety Standards, TEA has designed a School Safety Standards Cost Estimates Collection Survey to ensure TEA has a complete understanding of the financial impact of the implementation of the rule. All school systems that need to upgrade facilities to meet the School Safety Standards are highly encouraged to complete the survey.
- Preview of the School Safety Standards Cost Estimates Collection Survey (PDF)
- School Safety Standards Cost Estimates Collection Survey (Qualtrics)
- School Safety Standards Cost Estimate Tools
- 2022-2025 School Safety Standards Formula Grant
TEA will release a formula-based grant application in the coming weeks to support the school safety standards proposed rules referenced above. The grant will allow for pre-award for items purchased on or after June 1, 2022. For more information, LEAs should review the allocation funding, allowable costs, and grant links listed below.
- School Safety Formula Grant Allowable Costs (PDF) Updated November 3, 2022
- School Safety Formula Grant Allocation Funding
- The grant application will be available on the TEA Grant Opportunities page.
- See the School Safety Related Grant Programs webpage here.
- 2022-2024 Silent Panic Alert Technology Grant
TEA released a formula grant program on October 28, 2022, to provide grant funds to LEAs to purchase silent panic alert technologies for campuses as a measure of school safety. Silent panic alert technology is generally defined as a silent system signal generated by the activation of a device, either manually or through software applications, intended to signal a life-threatening or emergency situation (such as an active shooter, intruder, or other emergency situation) requiring a response from law enforcement and/or other first responders.
- Exterior Door Safety Audit
- Weekly Exterior Door Sweeps
- Weekly Exterior Door Sweeps Webinar Recording (Video) Updated August 18, 2022
- Weekly Exterior Door Sweeps Webinar Deck (PDF) Updated August 12, 2022
- Campus-Level Weekly Exterior Door Sweep Tool (Excel) Updated August 18, 2022
- District-Level Weekly Exterior Door Sweep Tool (Excel) Updated July 21, 2022
- Summer Audit
The Texas School Safety Center at Texas State University serves as a central location for school safety information and provides schools with research, training, and technical assistance to reduce youth violence and promote safety in Texas.
- List of School Safety Recommendations to address before start of the 2022-2023 school year
- List of School Safety Recommendations to address before start of the 2018-2019 school year (PDF)
- Safety & Security Agreements Workshops
- Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events (CRASE) Training
- Standard Response Protocol/Standard Reunification Method Certified Trainer Workshops
- Threat Assessment Management Workshops