This page provides information on topics such as curriculum, assessment and rules. We welcome any suggestions to improve this page for individuals working to provide high quality math programs for students. Join the mathematics mailing list and receive updates as information becomes available.
The Curriculum Division mathematics team provides direction and leadership to the mathematics programs, Kindergarten through grade 12.
The mathematics staff does the following:
- Assists districts statewide with implementation of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for mathematics
- Oversees the development and management of state-funded professional development programs
- Collaborates with the Division of Student Assessment in the development of state mathematics assessments
- Assists the Division of Instructional Materials and Educational Technology (IMET) in overseeing the textbook adoption process for K-12 mathematics instructional materials
- Reviews state certifications related to mathematics with the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC)
The mathematics team provides ongoing communication with the field related to mathematics curriculum and graduation requirements in Chapter 74.
Resources for the Mathematics TEKS Webpage
The Resources for the Mathematics TEKS webpage provides resources to assist parents and teachers in the transition to the revised mathematics TEKS for K-8, which were implemented in 2014-2015.
Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST)
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) are the highest honors bestowed by the United States government specifically for K-12 science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and/or computer science teaching. The awards were established by Congress in 1983. The National Science Foundation, under the direction of the White House, approves the Texas candidates for the national award. If selected as an awardee, the applicant will receive recognition from the President of the United States, an all-expense-paid trip to Washington D.C. for recognition and professional development events, and $10,000 to be used at the awardees discretion from the National Science Foundation.
The current cycle is for teachers of grade 7 through 12. In Texas, eligible teachers who submit a completed application by the PAEMST deadline to submit, will receive 25 CPE hours.
THE NOMINATION WINDOW IS NOW OPEN
For more information, please visit Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.
Texas needs you. If you are ineligible to apply but have the experience and interest to help out, you can become a reviewer or a mentor. Reviewers typically see about five applications from the best math, science, engineering, and computer science teachers around the state. Mentors typically support two or three of these teachers. Training is available for both positions.
2023 PAEMST Reviewers Needed
The TEA is looking for experts in the fields of math, science, computer science, engineering, and technology to review and evaluate applications for PAEMST. This year’s competition is for teachers of grades 7 through 12. The application to serve on the 2023 PAEMST review committee is now available. The completed form is due on or before Monday, January 23, 2023.
2023 PAEMST Reviewer Application (PDF, 249 KB)
Contact Texas State PAEMST Coordinators
If you are interested in helping out for the 2022-2023 review cycle, or have any other questions, please contact your Texas State PAEMST Coordinators at email@example.com.
PAEMST National Awardee Announced for Math
Kristy Butler was selected as a 2020 mathematics PAEMST national awardee. Mrs. Butler teaches grades 6/7 compact advanced math at Medlin Middle School in Northwest ISD in Trophy Club, TX. Additional information on the announcement for Mrs. Butler is available on her PAEMST website profile. (outside source).
PAEMST Texas State Finalists for 2021
The 2021 competition recognizes grades 7 through grade 12 mathematics and science teachers whose innovative methods bring teaching to life in the classroom. The Texas state secondary finalists were recognized in September 2021 at the Texas State Board of Education meeting and are listed below:
- Amber Bialorucki teaches Algebra I and II at Tomball Memorial High School in Tomball ISD in Tomball, TX.
- Sarah DiMaria teaches Precalculus and AP Calculus at Cedars International Charter School in Austin, TX.
- Timothy McMahon teaches Precalculus, AP Calculus, and AP Statistics at Kaufman High School in Kaufman ISD in Kaufman, TX.
PAEMST Texas State Finalists for 2022
The 2022 competition recognizes kindergarten through grade 6 mathematics and science teachers whose innovative methods bring teaching to life in the classroom. The Texas state finalists in primary mathematics are listed below:
- Nicole Davis grade 6 math and science at Pioneer Crossing Elementary School in Manor ISD, in Austin, TX.
- Kate Duncan teaches grade 4 math at Robert L. Puster Elementary School in Lovejoy ISD, in Fairview, TX.
- Jessica Garza teaches grade 3 bilingual math at Williams Elementary School in Pasadena ISD, in Pasadena, TX.
Several statewide mathematics professional development courses are currently available face-to-face at your ESC and online through the Texas Math Support Center. New courses will be available soon. For details on available courses and how to access them, contact your ESC, visit the Texas Algebra Ready website, or visit Texas Math Support Center.
The resources below address various topics related to teacher assignments, the standards, and instructional materials.
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Mathematics 19 TAC Chapter 111
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Chapter 111. Mathematics (Matemáticas)-Kindergarten - Grade 5, Adopted 2012. (PDF, 783KB)
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Chapter 111. Mathematics (Matemáticas)-Grade 6, Adopted 2012. (PDF, 622KB)
- Proclamation 2014 (Adopted Instructional Material Grades K-8)
- Proclamation 2015 (Adopted Instructional Material High School Courses)
- Open-Education Resource
- Teacher Certification Assignment Chart
- Texas Gateway (outside source)
- Career and College Readiness Standards (outside source)
- Mathematics and Reading Academies
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) are the nation’s highest honors for mathematics and science teachers.
The following links provide support from the Student Assessment Division.
- STAAR Resources
- Calculator Policy
- Student Assessment Division
- Assessments for Students with Disabilities
Response to Intervention Materials (RtI)
The following links provide free resources for Texas teachers to assist students in all tiers of the RtI framework.
- ESTAR/MSTAR (outside source)
- Texas Algebra Ready (TXAR) Initiative (outside source)
- Texas Regional Collaboratives (outside source):
The Texas Regional Collaboratives for Excellence in Science and Mathematics Teaching (TRC) support a network of K-16 partnerships to provide high-quality, sustained, and intensive teacher mentoring focused on strengthening science and mathematics content and pedagogy. This infrastructure of over 56 institutions of higher education collaborates with the Texas Education Agency, education service centers, school districts, and business partners. The TRC has an 18-year track record of designing and implementing exemplary professional development using research-based instructional models, materials, and best practices. Visit the TRC to receive the latest information about science professional development.
The following documents are provided to assist math teachers in the planning process.
- Supporting Information (outside source)
- Teacher2Teacher Math Videos (outside source)
- Interactive Mathematics Glossary (outside source)
- Revised Mathematics TEKS: Side-by-Side TEKS Comparison (outside source)
- Texas Response to Curriculum Focal Points, Revised 2013 (outside source)
- Vertical Alignment Charts (outside source)
Math and Science Director
Mathematics Content Specialists
Texas Education Agency
Curriculum Standards and Student Support