2021–2022 Accommodation Resources
Texas Education Agency (TEA) accessibility policies may apply to any student taking State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) or Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS) depending on his or her needs and whether or not the student meets the eligibility criteria, if applicable. These policies are divided into three main categories. Within each category are links to policy documents that provide more specific information.
- 2020–2021 Accommodation Resources (archived)
Accessibility Policy documents listed on the Accommodation Resources webpage are currently located in the District and Campus Coordinator Resources online.
- Accessibility Features: These are procedures and materials that are allowed for any student who needs them.
- Designated Supports: These are locally-approved supports for students who meet eligibility criteria.
- Basic Transcribing
- Braille/Refreshable Braille
- Calculation Aids
- Content and Language Supports
- Extra Time
- Individualized Structured Reminders
- Large Print
- Manipulating Test Materials
- Mathematics Manipulatives
- Oral/Signed Administration
- Spelling Assistance
- Supplemental Aids
3. Designated Supports Requiring TEA Approval: These supports require the submission and approval using the Accommodation Request Process below.
Accommodation Request Process
For designated supports requiring TEA approval, the appropriate team of people at the campus level determines whether the student meets all of the specific eligibility criteria and, if so, submits an Accommodation Request Form to TEA. Educators must read and understand the information in the links below prior to submitting an Accommodation Request Form to TEA.
The 2021–2022 Accommodation Request Process (PDF) guides district and campus personnel in the process for requesting designated supports.
The 2021–2022 Training Document (PDF) outlines the steps to take when completing an Accommodation Request Form in the online system. It is recommended that all educators completing the online Accommodation Request Form review this document prior to submitting the form to TEA.
The Administration and Security Forms section in TIDE (external link) leads to the Accommodations Request Form (ARF) that educators must fill out to request a designated support that requires TEA approval. For a special administration of an online test (i.e., STAAR with content and language supports, TELPAS grades 2-12 reading and listening and speaking), do NOT submit an Accommodation Request Form. Instead, you must submit a Request for a Special Administration of an Online Assessment which can also be found in the Administration and Security Forms section in TIDE. Please include in the request any designated support requiring TEA approval the student may need.
The 2021–2022 Online Accommodation Request Submission Deadlines document lists the deadlines for submitting online accommodation requests for each test administration through June 30, 2022.
Training and Presentations
The following resources provide training opportunities (e.g., PowerPoint presentations, link to future training, training manuals) for educators needing information on accommodation resources.
- Student Assessment TETN Schedule
- 2021-2022 Accessibility Updates TETN (PPT posted 11/16/21)
- 2021-2022 Accessibility Updates TETN (PDF posted 11/16/21)
- 2021-2022 Allowable Supplemental Aids (PPT posted 11/29/21)
- 2021-2022 Allowable Supplemental Aids (PDF posted 11/29/21)
- 2021-2022 Special Administration Request Form Training (PPT posted 11/29/21)
- 2021-2022 Special Administration Request Form Training (PDF posted 11/29/21)
- Content and Language Supports Guidelines
- Complex Transcribing Guidelines
- Complex Transcribing for TELPAS Writing Guidelines
- Accommodations for 2022 TELPAS Writing Field Test
- Extra Day Guidelines
- Mathematics Scribe Guidelines
- 2021-2022 Technology Guidelines Presentation
- Accommodations in Unexpected or Emergency Situations
- STAAR Accessibility Educator Guide
- 2021-2022 STAAR Oral and Signed Administrations Educator Guide
- Parent Resource: Designated Supports Available for STAAR, STAAR Spanish, and TELPAS
- Recursos para padres de familia: Apoyos designados disponibles para STAAR, STAAR en español y TELPAS
- General Instructions for Administering Large-Print State Assessments
- General Instructions for Administering Braille Versions of STAAR
- General Instructions for Administering TELPAS Braille Reading Versions of State Assessments
- General Instructions for Administering State Assessments to Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- General Instructions for Transcribing the Griddable Questions Student Document
- Font and Point Sizes Matrices for STAAR
- Font and Point Sizes Matrices for STAAR Alternate 2 and TELPAS