2022–2023 Accommodation Resources
Student Assessment Home | Student Assessment Directory | Contact Student Assessment
Texas Education Agency (TEA) accessibility policies may apply to any student taking State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) or Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS) depending on his or her needs and whether or not the student meets the eligibility criteria, if applicable. These policies are divided into three main categories. Within each category are links to policy documents that provide more specific information.
Accessibility Policy documents listed on the Accommodation Resources webpage are currently located in the District and Campus Coordinator Resources online.
- Accessibility Features: These are procedures and materials that are allowed for any student who needs them.
- Designated Supports: These are locally-approved supports for students who meet eligibility criteria.
- Basic Transcribing
- Braille/Refreshable Braille
- Calculation Aids
- Content and Language Supports
- Individualized Structured Reminders
- Large Print
- Manipulating Test Materials
- Mathematics Manipulatives
- Oral/Signed Administration
- Spelling Assistance
- Supplemental Aids
3. Designated Supports Requiring TEA Approval: These supports require the submission and approval using the Accommodation Request Process below.
Accommodation Request Process
For designated supports requiring TEA approval, the appropriate team of people at the campus level determines whether the student meets all of the specific eligibility criteria and, if so, submits an Accommodation Request Form to TEA. Educators must read and understand the information in the links below prior to submitting an Accommodation Request Form to TEA.
The 2022–2023 Accommodation Request Process (PDF) guides district and campus personnel in the process for requesting designated supports.
The 2022–2023 Training Document (PDF) outlines the steps to take when completing an Accommodation Request Form in the online system. It is recommended that all educators completing the online Accommodation Request Form review this document prior to submitting the form to TEA.
The Administration and Security Forms section in TIDE (external link) leads to the Accommodations Request Form (ARF) that educators must fill out to request a designated support that requires TEA approval. For a special administration of an online test (i.e., STAAR with content and language supports, TELPAS grades 2-12 reading and listening and speaking), do NOT submit an Accommodation Request Form.
The 2022–2023 Online Accommodation Request Submission Deadlines document lists the deadlines for submitting online accommodation requests for each test administration through June 30, 2023.
Training and Presentations
The following resources provide training opportunities (e.g., PowerPoint presentations, link to future training, training manuals) for educators needing information on accommodation resources.
- Student Assessment TETN Schedule
- 2022-2023 Accessibility Updates TETN (PPT posted 11/21/22)
- 2022-2023 Accessibility Updates (PDF posted 11/16/22)
- 2022-2023 Allowable Supplemental Aids (PPT posted 11/21/22)
- 2022-2023 Allowable Supplemental Aids (PDF posted 11/22/22)
- Spring 2023 STAAR Refresher (PDF posted 2/17/23)
- Spring 2023 STAAR Refresher Presentation (PPT posted 2/17/23)
- 2022-2023 Technology Guidelines Presentation
- Accommodations in Unexpected or Emergency Situations
- STAAR Accessibility Educator Guide
- Complex Transcribing for STAAR
- Mathematics Scribe
- 2022-2023 STAAR Oral and Signed Administrations Educator Guide
- Font and Point Sizes Matrices for STAAR
- Font and Point Sizes Matrices for STAAR Alternate 2 and TELPAS (Coming Soon)
- Math Reference Materials
For additional information, contact TEA using the Student Assessment Help Desk or call 512-463-9536.