Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative
State law requires school districts to annually assess the physical fitness of students enrolled in grade three or higher and to provide the results of individual student performance on the administered physical fitness assessments to the Texas Education Agency (TEA). The Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI) is a program designed to collect and analyze the required student physical fitness data.
In accordance with Texas Education Code §§38.101- 38.104, the TEA is required to complete the following objectives:
- Adopt an assessment instrument to be used by all Texas public school districts
- Compile the results of the physical fitness assessment captured by school districts and provide summary results
- Analyze the results received for each school district to determine whether a relationship exists between student academic achievement levels, attendance levels, obesity, student discipline problems, and school meal programs.
TEA has entered into an agreement with US Games to provide a statewide license to FitnessGram® at no cost to schools for the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years.
More information about FitnessGram® and instructions on how to register for the site license are provided in the important information provided below.
Important PFAI Information
Each year, physical fitness educators collect various fitness measurements of students for the PFAI and record the data.
- FitnessGram® assessments are the assessment tools all Texas school districts must administer for the purpose of the PFAI.
- Physical fitness data must be submitted to the agency in one of two ways: 1) using FitnessGram® software or 2) using the PFAI application available through the Texas Education Agency Login (TEAL).
- Physical fitness data is due each year on the second Friday of June by 5:00 p.m.
- TEA aggregates the physical fitness data collected for the PFAI and provides a report to the legislature.
- Schools are not required to submit ethnicity data due to changes in federal and state ethnicity codes.
How to Get Started
Using FitnessGram® Software
- Schools submitting physical fitness data via FitnessGram® software can register by visiting https://help.fitnessgram.net/fitnessgram-states/texas/ (outside source).
- Software support and training are available at https://help.fitnessgram.net/.
- For questions regarding registration please contact US Games at 1-800-327-0484 (x47313) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For technical assistance related to FitnessGram® software, call 1-800-416-5139 or visit https://myhealthyzone.fitnessgram.net/contactus.
Using the PFAI Application in TEAL
- All Texas schools not using FitnessGram® software will use the PFAI application in TEAL to upload data to TEA.
- Schools should appoint individuals responsible for submitting physical fitness data via the PFAI application and ensure that they are equipped with user names and passwords for a TEAL account.
- Instructions for registering for a TEAL account are provided in the TEAL Application Instructions for PFAI. (PDF, 915KB)
- All student data must be submitted at one time using the PFAI application in TEAL. Districts must wait until information for every eligible student has been gathered, and then upload all data to TEA in one submission.
- The PFAI Application Instructions: How to Upload PFAI Data to TEA (PDF, KB) provide step-by-step instructions for uploading student data in the PFAI application.
- For technical assistance for the PFAI application in TEAL, email email@example.com.
PFAI FitnessGram® Assessment Resources - provides resources to assist with administering and entering data for the PFAI
Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701