State Waivers Unit
The State Waivers Unit of the Texas Education Agency is responsible for the coordination of expedited and general state waivers and class size exceptions. See Texas Education Code (TEC) §7.056, Waivers & Exemptions, for rules.
2023-2024 Applications will be available in TEAL on the following dates:
|General & Expedited||July 5, 2023|
|Attendance (Missed School Day, Low Attendance)||August 1, 2023|
Due to the delayed 2022-2023 accountability ratings release, the 2023-2024 class size exception application opened on November 17, 2023. The deadline to submit the initial exception request has been extended to December 20, 2023.
Note: Once a new waiver year opens, the prior school year waiver application will no longer be available.
Most waiver types are placed into one of four categories:
- Expedited Waivers are waivers that require basic information from the district.
- General Waivers are waivers that require detailed information surrounding the district's waiver request.
- Attendance Waivers include Missed School Days, Low Attendance Days, and Additional Days School Year (ADSY) waivers. The district or campus can request a waiver for excused absences if instructional days are missed or if attendance is low due to weather, health, or safety issues.
- Maximum Class Size Exception is required under the provision of TEC §25.112 if any class for grades PK-4 exceeds the allowable class size limit of 22 students per class (22:1). An exemption expires at the end of the school year for which it is granted.
- Other Waivers are specific requests that do not fall under any of the above categories.
The following list shows the different waiver types and links to their description:
- Staff Development Waiver
- Modified Schedule State Assessment Testing Days Waiver
- Foreign Exchange Student Waiver (Request 5 or more)
- Teacher Data Portal of the Texas Assessment Management System
- Course Requirement Waiver
- Certification Teacher Waiver
- Course Requirement Career and Technical Education (CTE) Waiver
- Certification for Superintendent Waiver
- Pregnancy Related Services On-Campus (CEH) Waiver
- Foreign Exchange Student (Less than 5) Waiver
- Other Specific Waivers
- Instructions for Submitting a CTE Instructional Minutes Calculation Requirement Waiver (8-26-2022)
- Grade 7 Reading Diagnostic Waiver Guidance and Instructions School Year 2022-2023 (8-22-2022)
- To the Administrator Addressed ADSY COVID staffing Waiver Request for 2021-2022 COVID-Related School Closures (2-3-22)
- February 18th Update TEA Inclement Weather Update - February 18, 2021
- July 14th Update Early Childhood Education COVID 19 Updates - July 14, 2020
- To the Administrator Addressed House Bill 3 (HB3) Implementation: Extension: Full-Day Prekindergarten Waiver (2-27-20)
- To the Administrator Addressed Out-of-District Transportation Waiver and District Attestation (5-19-20)
- To the Administrator Addressed Additional Missed School Day Waivers related to Hurricane Harvey (9-1-2017)
- To the Administrator Addressed Hurricane Harvey Related Waivers (8-29-2017)
- To the Administrator Addressed Minutes of Operation - Updates to HB 2442 (8-31-2017)
- To the Administrator Addressed Information Concerning Changes to Staff Development and Early Release Waivers for 2018-2019 and Beyond (8-31-2017)
Phone: (512) 463-9630
Phone: (512) 936-8400 (option 2)
Educator Certification and CPE Help Desk
Phone: (512) 463-9039
Educator Testing and Preparation Programs Help Desk