Instructions to Request a Waiver from the TXVSN Course Review Process
The district or open-enrollment charter school authorized official seeking a waiver from the TXVSN course review process administered by the TEA must certify that each course meets all TXVSN course standards and requirements. The commissioner of education must approve the request before the course may be offered through the TXVSN. TEA will use its established waiver request procedures to review the request. Courses approved through the TEA waiver request process will be designated as district-certified.
To Request a waiver from the TXVSN course review process, complete the following steps:
- Email the TXVSN help desk to schedule an informational and planning meeting.
- Conduct a thorough review of each course and document that it meets all TXVSN course standards and requirements. (See the course standards on the TXVSN website.)
- Secure local school board approval to request the waiver.
- Enter information regarding each course to be included in the waiver request into the TXVSN electronic course submission system (ECSS). The ECSS will generate a final list of courses to be attached directly to the TEA general waiver application. Contact the TXVSN team at TXVSN help desk for more information, if needed.
- Complete the TXVSN Course Review Waiver Request Assurance Statements document.
- Log in to TEAL and complete a general waiver application through the automated TEA waiver application system. As part of your answer to general waiver application question #1, include the following documents as direct attachments to your general waiver application:
- The course final list that was generated within the TXVSN ECSS system
- The completed TXVSN Course Review Waiver Request Assurance Statements document
- Documentation letter(s) of approval from the College Board for all Advanced Placement courses included in the waiver request
- A copy of the local school board’s official minutes that include approval to submit the TXVSN course review waiver request or the official board meeting agenda which clearly shows the request for board action regarding the TXVSN course review waiver request, if minutes not yet available
- As part of your answer to general waiver question #3, specify Texas Education Code (TEC), §30A.105(a)(2).
- In your answer to general waiver question #7, indicate which school year(s) the request is for, up to a maximum of three years. (Courses for which new Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) are scheduled for implementation may only be requested to be waived for the school years prior to implementation of the new TEKS.)
- Sign and submit the waiver request with all attachments through the automated TEA waiver application system. As the district or open-enrollment charter school authorized official, your signature serves as your written certification to the commissioner and TEA that each course meets 100 percent of all TXVSN course standards and requirements.
Include all requested information in your waiver request. Do not send attachments as a separate communication. Your waiver request must comply with these requirements to be considered complete and ready for consideration by the commissioner of education.