Student Services Certificates
To become a school counselor, school librarian, educational diagnostician, or reading specialist, you must complete an approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP).
School Counselor, School Librarian, Educational Diagnostician and Reading Specialist Certificate Requirements
The requirements found here are for all certificates under this heading. You must:
- Complete an approved EPP for the specific certificate desired.
- Hold a master's degree from an institution of higher education that is accredited by an accrediting agency, as recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- Complete the required test.
- Have two years of classroom teaching experience in a public or accredited private school.
- Effective September 1, 2023, the 2 years of classroom teaching experience are no longer required for the School Counselor certification.
An educational diagnostician is required to have a valid classroom teaching certificate and three years of classroom teaching experience in a public or accredited private school.