The Curriculum Division provides state-level support, information and non-regulatory guidance to school administrators, teachers, counselors, parents, and students regarding general curriculum laws and rules, particularly with respect to graduation requirements, options for offering courses, and the award of credit.
The division is responsible for supporting development and implementation of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) in the foundation curriculum (English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies) and the enrichment curriculum (career and technical education, fine arts, health education, languages other than English, physical education, and technology applications). The Curriculum Division also provides state-level program leadership in the areas of bilingual education and English as a second language (ESL) for English language learners; career and technical education (CTE), gifted/talented education, migrant education, and a variety of other programs including the Texas AP/IB Incentives Programs, dual credit, Early College High Schools, the Texas Literacy Initiative, and the Texas Virtual School Network.
School districts and charter school must provide instruction on the essential knowledge and skills of the appropriate grade levels in the foundation curriculum and enrichment curriculum.
- Career and Technical Education
- Fine Arts
- Health Education
- Languages other than English (LOTE)
- Physical Education (PE)
- Technology Applications
The Curriculum Division administers the following curriculum programs:
- Texas AP/IB Incentives Programs
- AP/IB Teacher Training Reimbursement
- Bilingual/ESL Education
- Early College High Schools (ECHS)
- Gifted/Talented (G/T) Education
- School Health
- School Guidance and Counseling
- Texas Virtual School Network (TxVSN)
- Title I Part C, Migrant Education Program (MEP)
- Title III Part A, English Language Acquisition (ELA)
The Curriculum Division provides guidance related to the following curriculum-related topics.
- Academic Achievement Record
- Credit by Examination
- Character Education
- Graduation Requirements
- High School Diplomas for Certain Veterans
- Innovative Courses
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills by Chapter
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Subject Area Reviews
- Texas Teachers Review, Assess, Develop, and Exchange (T-TRADE) Assessment Items
See the following links for curriculum information: