The State Board for Educator Certification was created by the Texas Legislature in 1995 to recognize public school educators as professionals and grant educators the authority to govern the standards of their profession. The Board oversees all aspects of the preparation, certification and standards of conduct of public school educators.
SBEC is dedicated to improving student achievement and ensuring the safety and welfare of Texas school children by upholding the highest level of educator preparation, performance, continuing education, and standards of conduct.
- student success is primary.
- we must ensure the safety and welfare of Texas’s diverse student population.
- well-prepared educators are essential.
- high certification standards are essential for ensuring consistency and effectiveness among educator preparation programs.
- standards should be measured by rigorous, relevant, valid, and reliable assessments.
- certification programs should be held to the same accountability standards.
- certification programs should have transparent systems for continuous improvement.
- we are accountable to all Texas stakeholders and their input is essential.
- we must continually improve our policies and processes in response to changing needs.
- certified educators hold a unique position of trust with students; therefore, educators must be held to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
The Board will:
- Seek the tools and resources to ensure the education, safety, and welfare of Texas school children
- Monitor and improve the quality and effectiveness of educator preparation programs
- Improve the effectiveness and the efficiency of business operations by expanding the use of technology