SBOE - State Board of Education
The State Board of Education (SBOE) sets policies and standards for Texas public schools. The primary responsibilities of the SBOE include:
- Setting curriculum standards
- Reviewing and adopting instructional materials
- Establishing graduation requirements
- Overseeing the Texas Permanent School Fund
- Appointing board members to military reservation and special school districts
- Providing final review of rules proposed by the State Board for Educator Certification
- Reviewing the commissioner's proposed award of new charter schools, with authority to veto a recommended applicant
The board is made up of SBOE members elected from single-member districts (outside source). Find your SBOE member (outside source). The governor appoints one member to chair the board. The current SBOE officers are Chair Keven Ellis, Vice Chair Marty Rowley, and Secretary Georgina Pérez.
The SBOE is required to meet at least quarterly. Meetings are held in the William B. Travis State Office Building, which houses the Texas Education Agency, at 1701 North Congress Ave. in Austin. Each meeting, except for executive sessions restricted by law to specific topics, is open to the public. Anyone who wants to testify in front of the board must submit a public testimony registration form.
Current or Upcoming Meeting
- Jan. 28-31, 2020
- April 16-17, 2020 (Virtual Meeting)
- June 29-July 2, 2020
- Sept. 8-11, 2020
- Nov. 17-20, 2020
The TEA provides meeting webcasts for people interested in watching from a computer or device. The archived webcasts are also available. If you experience technical difficulties with a webcast, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SBOE operating rules
This includes rules that define how the SBOE conducts and takes public comments and testimony at board meetings.
Registration form for public testimony
Everyone who wants to testify at an SBOE meeting must submit a registration form by 5 p.m. Monday before the meeting.
This includes the archived SBOE meeting minutes for the past year.
Archived schedules and agendas
This includes the archived SBOE meeting schedules and agendas for the past year.
Summary of actions
This includes highlights of actions taken by the State Board of Education (SBOE) over the past year.
Although policy decisions must be made by the full board, much of the detailed preliminary work is completed in committee sessions usually held on the Wednesday or Thursday preceding each SBOE meeting. There are three primary SBOE committees. Ad Hoc Committees are created from time to time to handle a specific issue. The board's standing committees are:
- Committee on Instruction - has primary responsibility for issues dealing with curriculum and instruction, student testing, special education programs, and alternatives to social promotion.
- Committee on School Finance/Permanent School Fund - has primary responsibility for the preliminary work on issues dealing with the Permanent School Fund and school finance.
- Committee on School Initiatives - deals with issues such as appointing board members to military reservation and special school districts and rules proposed by the State Board of Educator Certification.