Accommodations, or supports, are changes to materials or procedures that enable students to access learning and testing. It is important to keep in mind that while some accommodations may be appropriate for instructional use, they may not be appropriate or allowable on a statewide assessment. The accommodation resources on this website are provided by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for districts to use in implementing accessibility policies for STAAR and TELPAS.
TEA accessibility policies may apply to any student taking STAAR or TELPAS depending on his or her needs and whether or not the student meets the eligibility criteria, if applicable. These policies are divided into 3 main categories. Within each category are links to policy documents that provide more specific information.
Accessibility Features: These are procedures and materials that are allowed for any student who needs them.
Designated Supports: These are locally-approved supports for students who meet eligibility criteria.
Designated Supports Requiring TEA Approval: These supports require the submission and approval of a TEA Accommodation Request Form.
Training and Presentations
The following resources provide training opportunities (e.g., PowerPoint presentations, link to future trainings, training manuals) for educators needing information on accommodation resources.
- Accommodations in Unexpected or Emergency Situations (Coming Soon)
- General Instructions for Administering Large-Print State Assessments (Coming Soon)
- General Instructions for Administering State Assessments to Students Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (Coming Soon)
- General Instructions for Administering Braille State Assessments (Coming Soon)
- Font and Point Sizes Matrices for STAAR, STAAR Spanish, TELPAS, and TAKS (Coming Soon)
- Transcribing Griddable Questions Training Document and Student Documents (Coming Soon)
- 2016 Accommodation Resources
- STAAR A Resources Archive