The Texas Special Education Continuous Advisory Committee (CAC) is established as a result of federal regulation and state law. It provides policy guidance with respect to special education and related services for children with disabilities in Texas.
When Does It Meet?
The CAC meets approximately four times each year in Austin, Texas. The public is welcome to attend the meetings. The next face-to-face meetings is Feb. 17, 2015.
The open meeting notices for the Texas Special Education CAC meetings are filed with the Texas Register. To view and print the notices online, visit the Secretary of State's website and type "Texas Education Agency" in the Agency Name search box.
Who Serves on the CAC?
The CAC consists of 17 members from around the state representing parents, general and special educators, consumers, and teacher educators. These members are appointed by the governor. A majority of the members of the CAC must be individuals with disabilities or parents of children with disabilities. Members of the committee are appointed for staggered four-year terms with the terms of eight or nine members expiring on February 1 of each odd-numbered year.
What Does the CAC Do?
The CAC provides policy guidance with respect to special education and related services for children with disabilities in Texas. Specifically:
- advises TEA of unmet needs within the state in the education of children with disabilities;
- comments publicly on any rules or regulations proposed by the state regarding the education of children with disabilities;
- advises TEA in developing evaluations and reporting on data to the Secretary of Education under Section 1418 of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) 20 U.S.C. §1418;
- advises TEA in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in federal monitoring reports under Part B of IDEA; and
- advises TEA in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for children with disabilities.
Additional information on what the CAC does can be found in the CAC Bylaws. Minutes from previous meetings can be read at Continuing Advisory Committee Meeting Dates and Minutes.