Optional Flexible Year Program
The Optional Flexible Year Program (OFYP) allows districts to modify their instructional calendars to meet student educational needs (e.g. intensive instructional services) and reduce the number of instructional days for certain students.
Law and Rules
- Texas Education Code: §29.0821, Optional Flexible Year Program
- Commissioner's Rules: 19 Texas Administrative Code §129.1029, Optional Flexible Year Program
Districts must submit an annual application notifying the Texas Education Agency (TEA) of their plans to participate in the OFYP. In addition to the application, districts must submit a letter to the TEA with the following information:
- the proposed modifications to the instructional calendar
- a description of the OFYP that will be provided under the Texas Education Code, §29.0821
- the date on which the school district board of trustees approved the modified instructional calendar
If a district is requesting a waiver of staff development days or teacher preparation days, the letter must also indicate approval from the campus site-based decision-making committee.
The TEA will not approve any OFYP application that reduces the number of instructional days to fewer than 180 days for students who meet the eligibility criteria.
These annual announcement letters explain any program changes that may have occurred since the previous year.
Please email the completed application to email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 2018-2019 OFYP Districts (March 27, 2019) (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2017-2018 OFYP Districts (March 27, 2019) (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2016-2017 OFYP Districts (Revised October 25, 2016) (PDF 60 KB)
- 2016-2017 OFYP Districts (September, 20 2016) (PDF 18 KB)
- 2015-2016 OFYP Districts (Revised April 2016) (PDF 27.3 KB)
- 2014–2015 OFYP Districts (Revised August 2015) (PDF 32 KB)
- 2013–2014 OFYP Districts (Revised September 2014) (PDF 118 KB)
- 2012–2013 OFYP Districts (Revised June 2013) (PDF 60 KB)
- 2011–2012 OFYP Districts (Revised May 2012) (PDF 82 KB)
For additional information, contact:
Division of State Funding