Beginning Teacher Induction and Mentoring
The purpose of the Beginning Teacher Induction and Mentoring (BTIM) program is to establish or enhance a beginning teacher induction and mentoring program designed to increase retention of beginning teachers. Texas Education Code §21.458 states that public school districts and open-enrollment charter schools may assign a qualified mentor teacher to each classroom teacher who has less than two years of teaching experience in a subject area or grade level.
Mentor Teacher Requirements
To the extent practicable, a teacher mentor must:
- teach in the same school,
- teach the same subject or grade level as applicable, and
- meet qualifications as determined by the commissioner.
Mentor teachers are required to have:
- have at least three complete years of teaching experience and a superior history of improving student performance
- have completed of a research-based mentor and induction training program approved by the commissioner
- have completed of a mentor training program provided by the district