Student Assessment Home | Student Assessment Directory | Contact Student Assessment
TEA accessibility policies may apply to any student taking STAAR or TELPAS depending on his or her needs and whether or not the student meets the eligibility criteria, if applicable. These policies are divided into 3 main categories. Within each category are links to policy documents that provide more specific information.
To view or print out the accessibility policies as one file, use the following link: 2018 Accessibility Policies
Accessibility Features: These are procedures and materials that are allowed for any student who needs them.
Designated Supports: These are locally-approved supports for students who meet eligibility criteria.
Designated Supports Requiring TEA Approval: These supports require the submission and approval using the Accommodation Request Process below.
Accommodation Request Process
For designated supports requiring TEA approval, the appropriate team of people at the campus level determines whether the student meets all of the specific eligibility criteria and, if so, submits an Accommodation Request Form to TEA. Educators must read and understand the information in the links below prior to submitting an Accommodation Request Form to TEA.
The Accommodation Request Process (PDF) guides district and campus personnel in the process for requesting designated supports.
The Training Document (PDF) outlines the steps to take when completing an Accommodation Request Form in the online system. It is recommended that all educators completing the online Accommodation Request Form review this document prior to submitting the form to TEA.
The Online Accommodation Request Form (external link) leads to the online request form that educators must fill out to request a designated support.
The 2018 Online Accommodation Request Submission Deadlines (PDF) document lists the deadlines for submitting online accommodation requests for each test administration through December 2018.
Training and Presentations
The following resources provide training opportunities (e.g., PowerPoint presentations, link to future training, training manuals) for educators needing information on accommodation resources.
- Student Assessment TETN Schedule
- 2018 STAAR Accessibility Updates (PPT)
- 2018 STAAR Accessibility Updates (PDF)
- 2018 Accommodations Allowable Supplemental Aids (PDF)
- 2018 Accommodations Allowable Supplemental Aids (PPT)
- Technology Use Guidelines Presentation (PDF)
- Technology Use Guidelines Presentation (PPT)
- Accommodations in Unexpected or Emergency Situations (PDF)
- Transcribing Griddable Questions Training Document (PDF)
- STAAR with Embedded Supports Non-Secure Front Matter Grades 3-5 (PDF)
- STAAR with Embedded Supports Non-Secure Front Matter Grades 6-8 (PDF)
- STAAR with Embedded Supports Non-Secure Front Matter End-of-Course (PDF)
- General Instructions for Administering Large-Print State Assessments (PDF)
- General Instructions for Administering State Assessments to Students Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (PDF)
- General Instructions for Administering Braille State Assessments (PDF)
- Oral/Signed Administration Guidelines (PDF)
- Educator Guide to Accessibility within the STAAR program (PDF)
- Font and Point Sizes Matrices for STAAR, STAAR Spanish, and TELPAS (PDF)