Subchapter D charters are often referred to as open-enrollment charters. This page covers the application process for a Subchapter D open-enrollment charter.
Subchapter D - Eligible Entities
The types of entities eligible to hold a Texas open-enrollment charter are as follows:
- Institutions of higher education;
- Private or independent institutions of higher education;
- Tax-exempt organizations classified as 501(c)(3)'s under the Internal Revenue Code; and
- Governmental entities.
Churches and other faith-based organizations are not eligible to apply for a charter. These applicants will need to establish a separate, nonsectarian 501(c)(3).
Public colleges and universities may also apply for Chapter 12, Subchapter E charters.
Applying for a Subchapter D Charter
The Generation Twenty-Four application cycle is now closed.
The mandatory information sessions were held on October 5th and October 12th. The Application Information Session Form (PDF, 147 KB) is provided as a reference; applicants must include the time-stamped copy of the form in their application. The Instructions and Guidelines document (Word, 421 KB) provides the complete timeline and detailed information pertaining to the completion of an application in response to the Generation Twenty-Four Request for Application (RFA).
Applicant Information Sessions
- TEA hosted two applicant information sessions in which potential applicants were provided details about:
Attendance at one of these information sessions is mandatory for all applicants.
- applying for, holding, and operating a charter in the state of Texas;
- the contents of the application document; and
- the application preparation guidelines and submission requirements for both electronic and hard copy application documents.
- The 2018 presentations are included here as a reference:
Required Resources and Information
Applicants whose sponsoring entity holds a Texas 501(c)(3) are to complete and submit the Generation Twenty-Four Charter Application (Word, 385 KB) and required attachments (PDF, 1,490 KB). Please also review the errata (PDF, 523 KB) to the required attachments document, posted December 20, 2018.
New posting as of February 22, 2018: Errata #2 (PDF, 116 KB) - revises Attachment FOG 5 in the Required Attachment document.
The following attachment links are applicable to ALL applicants and provide additional necessary information for submitting an application:
- Attachment E2 Staffing Chart (PDF, 1,682 KB)
- Attachment E3 Supplemental HR Form (CEO) (PDF, 166 KB)
- Attachment E3 Supplemental HR Form (Other) (PDF, 231 KB)
- Attachment FOG8 Biographical Affidavit (PDF, 899 KB)
- Attachment FOG 10 Financial Plan Workbook (Excel, 465 KB)(PDF, 280 KB)
- Special Assurances Document (PDF, 456 KB)
- Statement of Impact Form (PDF, 53 KB) and Sample Letter (PDF, 82 KB)
Any applicant from outside the state of Texas shall also fill out the Out of State Operator Addendum (Word, 245 KB).
Any applicant proposing to partner with a Charter Management Organization (CMO) shall also complete the Charter Management Organization Addendum (PDF, 508 KB). A CMO is any third-party entity, whether nonprofit or for-profit, that provides comprehensive education management services to a school via contract with the school's governing board.
The Scoring Rubric (PDF, 298 KB), (Excel, 56 KB) for the Generation Twenty-Four Open-Enrollment Charter application will be used by external evaluators to assess and score the strength of each application. This document is not to be filled out by applicants. It is provided to serve as a resource for aligning application material with Agency expectations.
Errors When Opening Files
When downloading and opening fillable PDF forms (i.e. Attachments E2, E3, and FOG8), you may receive an error if you try to open the file in your web browser (i.e. Chrome, Firefox, Safari). Some web browsers have a built-in PDF reader; files opened in the browser default to the built-in reader rather than Adobe Reader. If you cannot open a file or receive an error message when trying to open it:
- Make sure an up-to-date version of Adobe Reader is downloaded and installed on your computer.
- Save the file you are trying to open to your computer.
- Open Adobe Reader, and use it to open the file.
You also can right click on the saved file and select "Open With..." and select Adobe Reader to open the file instead.
Please note: An application must describe an education program that is unique to the applicant. An applicant that plagiarizes or copies any other application does not meet this standard.
You can sign up for updates about the open-enrollment charter application process by email through our GovDelivery link.
Selected Laws and Rules Applicable to Open-Enrollment Charters
The links below reference some of the laws and rules that apply to charters:
If you have questions, please contact the Charter Authorizing Office by e-mail at CharterSchools@tea.texas.gov or by phone at (512) 463-9575.