AUSTIN – The Texas Education Agency today announced the nomination of 26 Texas public schools for national 2018 Blue Ribbon Schools recognition.
Founded in 1982, Blue Ribbon Schools is a U.S. Department of Education program that recognizes public and private elementary, middle and high schools where students perform at very high levels or where exemplary progress has been made toward closing achievement gaps among subpopulations while maintaining high achievement levels among all students. The nominated schools in Texas (by district or charter) for 2018 include:
Exemplary High-Performing Schools
- Alief Montessori Community School – Alief Montessori Community School (Houston)
- Canutillo ISD – Northwest Early College High School
- Devers ISD – Devers Elementary School
- Houston ISD (3) – Challenge Early College High School; Debakey High School for Health Professions; East Early College High School
- La Joya ISD – Jimmy Carter Early College High School
- Mercedes ISD – Mercedes Early College
- Mumford ISD – Mumford Elementary School
- Socorro ISD – Mission Early College High School
- Valley View ISD (2) – Valley View Elementary School; Valley View South Elementary School
- Walcott ISD – Walcott Elementary School
Exemplary Achievement-Gap-Closing Schools
- Arrow Academy – Arrow Academy-Liberation Academy (Meadows Place)
- Edinburg CISD (2) – Anne L. Magee Elementary School; Hargill Elementary School
- Golden Rule Charter School – Golden Rule School-Sunnyside Campus (Dallas)
- Harlingen CISD – Dishman Elementary School
- Hidalgo ISD – J.C Kelly Elementary School
- IDEA Public Schools – IDEA Mission Academy (Mission)
- Lamar CISD – Jackson Elementary School
- Laredo ISD – J. Kawas Elementary School
- Nacogdoches ISD – Nettie Marshall Academy of Dual Language
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD (2) – Carmen Anaya Elementary School; Cesar Chavez Elementary School
- Robstown ISD – San Pedro Elementary School
Each nominated school has an economically disadvantaged population of 39 percent or greater.
The nominated schools must now complete a rigorous application process through the U.S. Department of Education. Announcements of the national award winners will be made in September 2018. Schools that receive the award are recognized at the Blue Ribbon Schools awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.
To learn more about the national Blue Ribbon program, visit https://tea.texas.gov/blue_ribbon.html.
# # #