This page describes Subchapter E charters. These charters are sometimes called university charters.
The commissioner of education may grant open-enrollment charters to public colleges and universities. These schools may operate on a campus of the college, university, or junior college or at another location in any county in the state as deemed appropriate by the commissioner of education after considering the number of existing charters in the area and the needs of the community. See Texas Education Code (TEC), Chapter 12 (Outside Source), Subchapter E §12.152.
Applying for a Subchapter E Charter
The application cycle is now open.
Applicants should complete the Application Information Session Form (PDF, 147 KB) to register for one of the mandatory information sessions; the dates for the two sessions are September 15th and September 22nd. The Instructions and Guidelines (PDF, 273 KB) document provides the complete timeline and detailed information pertaining to the completion of an application in response to the Generation Twenty-Three Request for Application (RFA).
Applicant information Sessions
- TEA hosted two applicant information sessions in which the potential applicants were provided details about:
- applying for, holding, and operating a charter in the state of Texas,
- the contents of the application documents, and
- the application preparation guidelines and submission requirements for both electronic and hard copy application documents.
- The presentations are included here as a reference:
Required Resources and Information
Please note an error on the application cover sheet. It requests the CEO of the Sponsoring Entity's signature twice; the second signature should be for the "Application Preparer."
In addition to the charter application and required attachments, the following attachments are also required of applicants and the following links provide additional necessary information for submitting an application:
- Attachment F1 Financial Plan Workbook (PDF, 1,514 KB), (Excel, 473 KB)
- Attachment G2 Biographical Affidavit (PDF, 886 KB)
- Attachment O2 Staffing Chart (PDF, 1,575 KB)
- Attachment O3 Supplemental Human Resources Information Form (CEO) (PDF, 156 KB)
- Attachment O3 Supplemental Human Resources Information Form (Other) (PDF, 576 KB)
- Special Assurances Document (PDF, 471 KB)
- Statement of Impact Form (PDF, 202 KB)
- Documented History of Misconduct (PDF, 38 KB)
The Scoring Rubric (PDF, 566 KB) for the Generation Twenty-Three Open-Enrollment Charter application will be used by external evaluators to assess and score the strength of each application. This document is not to be filled out by applicants. It is provided to serve as a resource for aligning application material with Agency expectations.
An application must describe an education
program that is unique to the applicant. An applicant that plagiarizes
or copies any other application does not meet this standard.
You may sign up for more information about the open-enrollment charter application process by signing up for our GovDelivery email list.
Selected Laws and Rules Applicable to Open-Enrollment Charters
The links below reference some of the laws and rules that apply to charters:
If you have any questions, contact the Division
of Charter School Administration by e-mail at CharterSchools@tea.texas.gov or by phone at (512) 463-9575.
Division of Charter School Administration
1701 North Congress Avenue
Phone: (512) 463-9575