Teacher Certification Redesign
Content Pedagogy Assessments
The following content assessments will be updated to include increased content pedagogy to be assessed through both multiple choice and constructed response questions. The dates below represent the current target date. Any amendments will be made on this site. The dates listed are the scheduled launch dates - could be subject to change to a later date.
All new assessments will have test frameworks released about 12-18 months before the scheduled launch date on this website.
There are upcoming opportunities for Texas educators to participate in exam development committees. Committee members receive Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits for their participation in these exam development activities.
Visit our recruitment website for information about the development process, the types of meetings conducted, and how to get involved.
January 1, 2021
- Early Childhood Pre-K - 3 Content (292) - new exam
- Science of Teaching Reading (293) - new exam
- Core Subjects Early Childhood-Grade 6 (391) - updated exam
- Early Childhood-Grade 6 Core Subjects (291) can be used for certification through December 30, 2022.
- Educational Diagnostician (253)
- exam #153 was available until December 31, 2020 and can be used for certification through December 31, 2021.
- Please e-mail your assigned program specialist for information, materials, and updated alignment charts.
September 6, 2021
- School Counselor - 252
- New School Counselor (252) Exam FAQ document is available to address timelines and other frequently asked questions related to the exam launch, program requirements, and candidate preparation resources.
- Trade and Industrial Workforce Training Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities 6-12 - 370
- New PPR for T & I (370) Exam FAQ document is available to address timelines and other frequently asked questions related to the exam launch, program requirements, and candidate preparation resources.
January 1, 2022
- 4-8 ELAR - 217
- exam #117 was available until December 31, 2021 and can be used for certification through October 30, 2022.
- new #217 first administration was on January 1, 2022 with scores reporting on January 21, 2022
- New ELAR 4-8 (217) informational one-pager is available to address timelines and other frequently asked questions related to the exam launch, program requirements, and candidate preparation resources.
No earlier than September 2023
Exact dates to be determined. Approved new or updated exam frameworks will be posted online as soon as they become available.
- AAFCS - American Association for Family Consumer Sciences
- Family and Consumer Sciences Composite
- Hospitality, Nutrition, and Food Science
- Human Development and Family Studies
- ELAR 7-12 - 331
- Health EC-12
- Physical Education EC-12
New Certificate Field Addition
- Early Childhood-Grade 3 Certificate
Please e-mail your assigned program specialist for information, materials, and updated alignment charts.
edTPA is currently being considered at the state level as a licensure requirement.
PACT (Pre-Admission Content Test)
Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) candidates will take a new series of exams beginning January 27, 2020. Registration and appointment scheduling for these new TX PACT exams is available with Pearson. Applicants enrolling in a preparation program that requires a PACT exam must complete a passing score on the appropriate new content certification examination that corresponds with each certificate area.
Texas Educator Preparation Programs can apply to offer intensive pre-service that must provide specific programmatic requirements for a candidate prior to issuing an intern certificate. Please e-mail your assigned program specialist for information regarding §228.33. Intensive Pre-Service.