Stakeholders (parents, school personnel, advocates, etc.) can find timely guidance about the provision of special education services in Texas on this page. Guidance is provided through links to state resources or short responses to commonly asked questions. Content is updated as new information becomes available.
Policy and Rule
The following resources provide guidance on state and federal policy and rules related to the provision of special education services.
Admission Review and Dismissal Committee
The following resources provide guidance on state and federal policy and rules related to admission, review and dismissal (ARD) committees.
- ARD Guide Production and Required Dissemination Updated January 2012
- Guidance related to ARD Committee and Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) Collaboration Updated September 2014
- Inviting State Agencies to ARD Committee Meetings Updated April 2014
- Procedural Safeguards Production and Required Dissemination Updated January 2012
The following resources provide guidance on topics related to student outcomes and performance.
- Graduation Updated September 2014
- Q & A Document on individualized education programs (IEPs), evaluations, and reevaluations Updated June 2010
- Secondary Transition Last updated January 2008
- Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Updated June 2010
Programs and Services
The following resources provide guidance on topics related to special education programs and services for students with disabilities.
- Accelerated Instruction and Intensive Programs of Instruction (PDF) Updated February 2014
- Documenting Frequency, Duration, and Location of Related Services (PDF) Updated July 2010
- Frequently Asked Questions: Dyslexia and Related Disorders- March 2019
- Dyslexia Program (ESC 10 webpage) Updated July 2014
- Extended School Year Services for Students with Disabilities Updated June 2014
- Related Services Q & A document (PDF) Updated August 2009
Early Childhood Transition (Part C to Part B)
The following resources provide guidance on topics related to Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) transition from the Part C (Birth to two) to Part B (three to twenty-one) systems.
- Beyond ECI (English version) Updated June 2012
- Beyond ECI (Spanish version) Updated June 2012
- Early Transition Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Updated June 2013 (webpage) June 2014 (MOU doc)
- ECI Transition Flowchart (PDF) Updated September 2013
The following resources provide guidance on topics related to parents & families of students with disabilities.
- Partners Resource Network (non-profit agency that operates the statewide network of federally funded parent training and information centers in Texas)
- Revocation of Parental Consent for Special Education Services- Updated: January 2013
- Texas Project FIRST (Families Information Resources Support and Training)
The following resources provide guidance on topics related to dispute resolution processes including Complaints Investigation, Mediation, Due Process Hearings, and Facilitated IEP.
- Dispute Resolution Processes (Complaints Investigation, Mediation, Due Process Hearings) Updated July 2014
- Consortium for Appropriate Dispute Resolution in Special Education (CADRE) National Technical Assistance Center on Dispute Resolution
- Q&A on Procedural Safeguards and Due Process Procedures (CADRE Website)
- Special Education Dispute Resolution Handbook
Other Links and Information
The following resources provide guidance on a variety of topics related to the provision of special education services in Texas and other requirements.
- Coordinated Early Intervening Services (CEIS) Updated March 2011
- Homelessness Updated July 2014
- Information Regarding Video Surveillance of Certain Special Education Settings
- Interpreter Certification Guidance Updated January 2013
- Staff Development TEC §21.451 Updated July 2014
- Student Handbook Statement Updated Summer 2017
- Temporary Absences of Students with Disabilities