Non-ESC Authorized Provider Authorization Process
2019-2021 House Bill 3 Reading Academies Authorized Provider – NON-ESC
A key new requirement in HB 3 is that LEAs are responsible to ensure that all K-3 teachers and principals in Texas have completed the Reading Academies by the 2021-2022 school year. A Reading Academies Authorized Provider is an entity—educational service center, local educational agency, institute of higher learning, or other non-profit—that is formally approved by TEA to provide Reading Academies. All Reading Academy Providers must be formally authorized and approved by TEA based on a set of baseline requirements. Eligible providers include ESCs, districts, and external organizations. Non-ESC entities may apply to be an Authorized Provider through a competitive authorization program application process. Entities must demonstrate capacity to execute Reading Academies at time of application.
To be approved as an Authorized Provider, an entity MUST agree to:
- Provide and facilitate HB 3 Reading Academies, including registration, logistical support, and technical assistance.
- Follow and implement HB 3 Reading Academies content as designed by TEA.
- Ensure all Cohort Leaders pass mandatory hiring screen before leading sessions.
- Attend mandatory training as determined by TEA.
- Coordinate and fund travel for all Cohort Leaders.
- Conduct program evaluation as determined by TEA.
- Communicate and respond to TEA information requests.
- Conduct outreach to publicize HB 3 Reading Academies.
- Non-ESC entities must demonstrate the capacity to offer four Comprehensive AND eight Blended Cohorts.
The maximum points available for the standard review criteria for this program will be as follows:
- Qualifications and Experience for Key Personnel – 25 points possible
- Summary of Program Qualifications – 75 points possible
- Performance and Evaluation Measures – 25 points possible
- Financial Management and Sustainability Plan – 15 points possible
Total Possible Points - 140 points possible
View the full list of applicant scores.
From February 1, 2020, to July 30, 2021.
Applications and Award
The following table links to scanned copies of all applications eligible for competitive review and indicates which applicant(s) are preliminarily selected to receive an award, pending successful completion of fiscal and programmatic review and negotiation.
|Applicant Name||Approved as an AP?|
|Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD||Yes|
|Clear Creek ISD||Yes|
|Corpus Christi ISD||Yes|
|El Paso ISD||Yes|
|Fort Bend ISD||Yes|
|Fort Worth ISD||Yes|
|Literacy San Antonio||Yes|
|La Vega ISD||Yes|
|National Institute for Excellence in Teaching||No|
|North East ISD||Yes|
|Pre-K 4 SA||Yes|
|Sul Ross State University||No|
|The University of Texas at Austin- The Meadows Center for Preventing Educational Risk||Yes|