Science TEKS Review
The State Board of Education (SBOE) has authority for the review and adoption of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for each subject of the required curriculum. SBOE members nominate educators, parents, business and industry representatives, and employers to serve on the review work groups. This page provides information regarding the 2020 review and revision of the TEKS for science.
Science TEKS Review Work Groups
The SBOE's process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS review work groups will be made throughout the review process. The following list includes individuals appointed by the SBOE to serve on the Science TEKS Review work groups.
Science Work Group Application
The SBOE is now accepting applications for science TEKS review work groups. The SBOE's TEKS review and revision process calls for multiple, separate work groups. Nominations to serve on TEKS work groups will be made throughout the TEKS review process.
A link is provided below to the general application that TEA uses to form review committees.* A "Committee Preferences" section is at the end of the application. After selecting "SBOE Committee - Science TEKS Review Committee," the applicant will be asked additional questions related to science.
*Applicants do not need to be educators, From the first drop-down menu in the application, select "Other (No current district affiliation)." There are additional sections in the application where an applicant may select "parent or business professional," which will remove portions of the application specific to teaching experience.
Applications are submitted to SBOE members for review throughout the revision process. Based on that review, SBOE members make nominations to work groups. TEA will notify applicants of their nominations at each stage in the review and revision process.
- Work group members will be expected to complete an online orientation session prior to their work group meeting. Work group members may be asked to complete an initial review prior to their meeting.
- Work groups will convene in Austin for a minimum of one face-to-face meeting. Meeting times and dates for the different work groups will be shared with the SBOE's members for each work group meeting. Additional meetings conducted by webinar may also be scheduled as necessary.
- Work group members may be asked to provide invited testimony at SBOE meetings.
- Work group members will be reimbursed in accordance with state travel guidelines for travel, meals, and lodging for meetings held in Austin.
- Questions related to the application for the science TEKS review and revision process can be directed to email@example.com.
Science Education TEKS Review Content Advisors
Information related to the SBOE-nominated content advisors for the science TEKS review is available on the Science TEKS Review Content Advisors web page.
Curriculum Standards and Student Support Division