January 2020 Committee on School Initiatives Item 1
Recommendation for Appointments to the Boys Ranch Independent School District Board of Trustees
January 31, 2020
COMMITTEE ON SCHOOL INITIATIVES: ACTION
STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION: CONSENT
SUMMARY: This item provides an opportunity for board consideration of two reappointments to the board of trustees of the Boys Ranch Independent School District. The reappointments are necessary due to the expiration of the term of office for two board members.
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: Texas Education Code (TEC), §11.352, and 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §61.2.
TEC, §11.352 authorizes the State Board of Education to appoint school board members in special purpose school districts.
The full text of statutory citations can be found in the statutory authority section of this agenda.
PREVIOUS BOARD ACTION: No previous board action has occurred on this item.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION AND JUSTIFICATION: The State Board of Education is statutorily authorized to appoint board members for independent school districts created under its former authority to establish school districts. Trustees so appointed shall hold office until their successors are appointed and qualified.
The following process is followed when selecting a board member for the Boys Ranch Independent School District Board of Trustee:
• Trustee submits notice of resignation to the school board president.
• School board president advises the chief executive officer (CEO) of Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch of resignation and potential replacements.
• CEO of Cal Farley’s considers potential candidates based on their general understanding of the mission of Cal Farley’s and the purpose of the Boys Ranch Independent School District, as well as experience in non-profit business, social services, and/or education.
• CEO of Cal Farley’s discusses potential candidates with the BRISD school board president, and they come to an agreement on a suitable candidate.
• CEO interviews and discusses potential appointment with the trustee candidate.
• Assuming the candidate desires the position, CEO of Cal Farley’s submits recommended candidate to the State Board of Education.
Recently, Mr. Dan Adams, president and chief executive officer of Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch, has notified the commissioner of two vacancies which exists on the board of trustees of the Boys Ranch Independent School District. The vacancies are due to the expiration of the terms of Mr. George Owen and Mr. Mark Strother. The CEO has requested that Mr. George Owen and Mr. Mark Strother be reappointed to fill the vacancies. Supporting documentation on the recommended candidate is included.
FISCAL IMPACT: No fiscal impact to the state will occur.
PUBLIC BENEFIT AND COST TO PERSONS: Both the public and the students will benefit by having a qualified individual appointed to the board of trustees.
PROCEDURAL AND REPORTING IMPLICATIONS: No procedural or reporting implications exist.
PUBLIC COMMENTS: No public comments are presented.
MOTION TO BE CONSIDERED: The State Board of Education:
Based on Mr. Dan Adams recommendation, approve the reappointments of Mr. George Owen and Mr. Mark Strother to serve a two-year term of office, from January 31, 2020 to January 31, 2022, on the Boys Ranch Independent School District Board of Trustees.
Staff Member Responsible:
Jason Hewitt, Director of Monitors & Conservators, Special Investigations
Attachment: Correspondence from Mr. Dan Adams, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch, which includes biographical information and supporting material for the nominees