evolving role of the principal as an instructional leader and the needs of
Texas schools and communities, the State Board for Educator Certification
(SBEC) adopted new principal standards in 2016. Informed by the expertise of
practicing principals, principal preparation program faculty, and other
educators and aligned with the Texas Principal Evaluation and Support System
(T-PESS), the new standards emphasize the critical role of the school principal
with an increased emphasis on instructional leadership.
implementation of the new standards, the Texas Education Agency (TEA) began
working with principal preparation program faculty and practicing principals to
develop a new test framework and new test instruments to certify Texas
principals. The new instruments have
been created to reflect the skills needed for beginning principals to be
effective. Please visit the following link for more information regarding the upcoming TExES Principal (268) test.
communication plan has been initiated by TEA to ensure that Texas principal
preparation programs and candidates are informed of the upcoming changes. The information below reflects the current
plan, which is subject to revision as additional information becomes available.
How does this impact principal
Principal certificate candidates can expect the following changes:
- All candidates will need to pass the new TExES Principal (268) and complete the Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL) to obtain a standard principal certification starting on 9/1/2019.
- Candidates who pass the TExES Principal (268) assessment by 8/31/2019 will be exempt from the PASL and will receive their standard certification with a passing score on the TExES Principal (268) test if they complete all other certification requirements (e.g., course work, practicum) by 8/31/2019 and apply and are recommended for certification by 10/30/2019.
- The TExES Principal (268) test will be offered for free to eligible candidates during the initial testing windows in December 2018 through February 2019. Eligible candidates include only those candidates who have never attempted the TExES Principal (068) test. Scores for the initial testing period will be reported in late June or early July 2019.
- The PASL will become available to candidates in fall of 2019.
- Given the timing of the changes above, it is recommended that all principal candidates entering programs on 1/1/2018 or later begin preparation for the TExES Principal (268) and PASL assessments.
How does this impact the current TExES
Principal (068) test?
TExES Principal (068) test will be available to first-time test takers through 12/31/2018 and for re-testers through 8/31/2019.