Work is under way to create a new Long-Range Plan for Public Education, which is expected to establish goals for Texas public schools through the year 2030.
The State Board of Education (SBOE), which under Texas law is required to adopt a plan, appointed the Long-Range Plan for Public Education Steering Committee, based on the advice of The Boston Consulting Group. This 18-member steering committee is made up of state board members, various stakeholder group representatives and representatives from three state agencies.
The steering committee will recommend long-term goals for Texas schools and will identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and challenges of the system.
The committee has identified four broad goals that have become the focus of their work:
- Teacher recruitment, preparation, and
and access to funding, technology, and advanced courses
engagement and empowerment to provide effective support systems for students
and prepare them for life after high school
engagement and empowerment to help parents become strong advocates for their
children in the education system.
The steering committee is scheduled to meet in Austin five times during the 2017-2018 school year. The meetings begin at 9 a.m. The meeting dates are:
- Sept. 12 2017 - Travis State Office Building, 1701 N. Congress Ave., Room 104, Austin, Texas
- Nov. 6, 2017 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
- Feb. 21, 2018 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
- April 9, 2018 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
- May 14, 2018 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
The board is also hosting community meetings around the state to gather comments from Texans.
Those meetings are scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted, at the following locations:
- Nov. 2- El Paso Community College, Administration Building Auditorium, 9050 Viscount Blvd., El Paso
- Nov. 14 - Region
7 Education Service Center, Oak Room, 909 North Longview St., Kilgore
- Dec. 5 - Region 11 Education Service Center, Rooms A-D, 1451 S. Cherry Lane, White Settlement
- Dec. 6 - Dallas County Community College, El Centro West - Multi Purpose Room, 3330 N. Hampton Rd., Dallas
- Jan. 9 - Region 20 Education Service Center, Rooms Hickory/Laurel/Magnolia, 1314 Hines Ave., San Antonio
- Jan. 18 - Salado Civic Center, second floor boardroom, 601 N. Main St., Salado
- Feb. 7 - 9-11 a.m., Region 1 Education Service Center, Fort Ringgold/Fort McIntosh rooms, 1900 W. Schunior, Edinburg. There were two remote site meeting locations for this event at:
Region II Education Service Center at 209 North Water St., Corpus Christi
Region III Education Service Center at 1905 Leary Lane, Victoria
- Feb. 8 - Region 4 Education Service Center, 7200 Northwest 100 Dr., Region 4 McKinney Conference Center, Rooms A-F, Houston
- Feb. 20 - 4-6 p.m., Travis State Office Building, Room 1-104, 1701 N. Congress Ave., Austin
- Feb. 28 - Region 16 Education Service Center, 5800 Bell St., Amarillo Event registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-conversation-amarillo-february-28th-tickets-41257559471
Summaries of comments received at Community Conversation meetings
Summary of Nov. 2, 2017 El Paso Community Conversation (PDF, 455 KB)
Summary of Nov. 14, 2017 Kilgore Community Conversation (PDF, 425 KB)
Summary of Dec. 5, 2017 Fort Worth Community Conversation (PDF, 477 KB)
Summary of Dec. 6, 2017 Dallas Community Conversation (PDF, 527 KB)
Summary of Jan. 9, 2018 San Antonio Community Conversation (PDF, 304 KB)
Summary of Jan. 18, 2018 Salado Community Conversation (PDF, 430 KB)
Survey now open
Texans can offer their input in setting the state's long-term educational goals by completing a survey in English or Spanish.
Aquí está el enlace de la encuesta en español: http://sgiz.mobi/s3/Encuesta-de-opini-n-p-blica-para-Texas
The survey is open until 5 p.m. March 2.
The recommendations prepared by the steering committee, as well as results from an online survey and community meetings held around the state, will be considered by the board when it ultimately adopts the long-range plan.
Adoption of a new long-range plan is tentatively scheduled for 2018.
Presentations and resources presented to the steering committee
Nov. 6, 2017 meeting
Family Engagement and Empowerment Presentation by Lacy Wood (23,079 KB)
Foundation School Program Presentation by Joe Wisnoski (633 KB)
Access to Advanced Placement Courses Presentation by Jill Schott (705 KB)
Sept. 12, 2017 meeting
An Assessment of State Plans, Reports, and Data (PDF, 1,149 KB)
A Sampling of Long-Range Plans From Other States
Education and Texas Demographic Characteristics and Trends (PPT)
Education and Texas Demographic Characteristics and Trends (PDF, 7MB)
Development of the Long-Range Plan for Public Education, Phase One Planning Document
Findings of the Ad Hoc Committee
Long-Range Plan for Public Education 2001-2006
Long-Range Plan for Technology 2006-2020