Blue Ribbon Schools
Founded in 1982, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program recognizes public and private elementary, middle, and high schools where students perform at very high levels or where significant improvements are being made in students' academic achievement. A National Blue Ribbon Schools flag overhead has become a mark of excellence in education recognized by everyone from parents to policy-makers in thousands of communities. Since the program's founding, the U. S. Department of Education has bestowed this coveted award on more than 7,000 of America's schools (http://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/index.html).
The United States Department of Education is responsible for administering the Blue Ribbon Schools Program, which is authorized by Public Law 107-110 (January 8, 2002), Part D—Fund for the Improvement of Education, Subpart 1, Sec. 5411(b)(5). To be considered for Blue Ribbon School Recognition by the U. S. Department of Education, a Texas public school must be nominated by the commissioner of education. Nominated campuses are selected through analysis of student assessment and student demographic data according to the process outlined in the USDE-approved Texas State Plan. Please visit http://www.nationalblueribbonschools.com and http://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/index.html for additional information.
- 23 Texas public schools receive 2018 national Blue Ribbon honors (October 1, 2018)
- 26 Texas schools nominated for 2018 national Blue Ribbon honors (January 17, 2018)
- 26 Texas public schools receive 2017 national Blue Ribbon honors (September 28, 2017)
- How do I nominate a school for this recognition?
- The process for applying for Blue Ribbon School Recognition changed in 2003. A campus may no longer self-nominate. Nominations are made by the Chief State School Officer (the Commissioner of Education in Texas), and each state is given a quota of the number of schools that may be nominated. Selection for nomination is based on the process prescribed by the U.S. Department of Education and may change from year to year.
- How are schools considered for Blue Ribbon School Recognition?
- All Texas schools are considered for Blue Ribbon School nominations based on student performance on the first administration of the state assessment test. Data is analyzed based on criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education and may change from year to year.