EC DataWorks Project
In June 2017, Texas was awarded the ECDataWorks grant, funded by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation in conjunction with the University of Pennsylvania Consortium for Policy Research in Education (CPRE).
When considering options for the scope of the ECDataWorks project, the following criteria had to be met:
- Must clearly align to a state policy or strategic priority
- Must leverage current ECDS to move to the next stage of data use
- Must include multiple agencies and/or organizations
- Must be innovative (going beyond a "quick win")
- Must meet a clear need; a clear action must be identified for using the analytic tool
During the Goal Setting Meeting on September 21, 2017, the ECDataWorks project team worked with TEA early childhood education division staff to outline the initial planning for the project. Given the governor’s and commissioner’s focus on building a foundation of reading and math in early childhood, the following leadership decisions were made.
- The project will focus on the alignment of quality and school readiness.
- The intended users of the analytic tool to be developed will be LEAs, ESCs and LWDBs
- The strategic partnership will be with the Texas Workforce Commission.
- The goal will be to inform state’s work to incentivize quality improvement
Project Goal Statement
Texas will work with ECDataWorks to design a new analytic tool on quality and school readiness to support education service centers (ESCs), local education agencies (LEAs), and local workforce development boards (LWDBs) to improve program quality.
The project will involve two phases of work with ECDataWorks providing resources to accomplish the project objectives.
Phase 1 (September 2017 – April 2018)
- Goal Setting
- Stakeholder engagement (2 in- person meetings)
- IT and data system landscape analysis
- Needs assessment
- Analytic tool mock-ups
- Development of data sharing agreements
Phase 2 (April 2018-December 2019)
- Development and implementation of analytic tools (defined after phase 1)
- Execution of data sharing agreements
- Stakeholder engagement
Texas Education Agency
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, Texas 78701-1401