AUSTIN – Commissioner of Education Mike Morath today announced the appointment of a five-member board of managers and a superintendent for the Edgewood Independent School District in San Antonio.
On March 1, the commissioner notified district officials of his decision to appoint a board of managers after a Special Accreditation Investigation found a systemic breakdown in the school board’s ability to govern the district and a failure of the board to work collaboratively with district administrators.
The appointed board of managers will replace the elected board of trustees. The new board will be responsible for overseeing the management of the 11,300-student school district.
The five San Antonio residents appointed to the Edgewood board of managers are:
- Stella Camacho – A graduate of Edgewood ISD, Camacho has one son who is also a graduate of the district and has two children currently enrolled in Edgewood schools. She has served as a PTA president and as secretary of the EISD PTA Council. She is self-employed as a bookkeeper.
- Frank Espinosa – Espinosa is a manager of terminal services for NuStar Energy. He is a member of the Edgewood District Alumni Association and the Edgewood Education Foundation, as well as being actively involved in many community organizations.
- Amanda L. Gonzalez – Gonzalez is the campaign manager for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night Campaign. She has previously worked as a legislative aide and as a tax processor in the Bexar County Tax Assessor-Collector’s office, as well as working on a congressional campaign staff.
- Richard Santoyo – Santoyo retired from the City of San Antonio Fire Department in 2015, having served for 30 years as a firefighter and paramedic. Prior to that, he worked as a physical science teacher and a registrar aide at John F. Kennedy High School in Edgewood.
- Roy Richard Soto Sr. – A graduate of Edgewood’s John F. Kennedy High School, Soto is the owner of five Premier Rental-Purchase stores. He has served as chair of the finance council of St. Ann Parish since 2005.
The board of managers will be sworn into office at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 24, during a public meeting at the Guerra Conference Center, 1930 Herbert Lane, in San Antonio.
In addition appointing the members of the Edgewood ISD board of members, Commissioner Morath named Dr. Sylvester “Syl” Perez as the Edgewood superintendent. Perez retired as the superintendent of San Antonio ISD in May 2015. He previously served as the superintendent in the Midland, San Marcos, Clint and Mathis school districts. Perez has worked as an administrator or teacher in four other San Antonio-area districts – Harlandale, Judson, Northeast and Northside.