Submitting Crisis Code Data and PEIMS School-Start Window Date Change, Submitting Crisis Code Data through TSDS PEIMS
September 12, 2017
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED (TAA):
Subject: Submitting Crisis Code Data and PEIMS School-Start Window Date Change
Submitting Crisis Code Data through TSDS PEIMS:
To better support those LEAs enrolling students that have relocated due to Hurricane Harvey, TEA is asking that LEAs submit data through the TSDS PEIMS Summer 1 collection by close of business every Friday starting Friday, September 22, 2017, when enrolling students with Crisis Code 05.
- Load the following interchanges in the 2017-2018 PEIMS Summer 1 Collection:
- LocalEducationAgencyExtension complex type
- SchoolExtension complex type
- StudentExtension complex type
- StudentSchoolAssociation complex type
- Include only students with a Crisis Code of 05 in the StudentExtension complex type. Include any student with a Crisis Code of 05 whether the student is currently enrolled or withdrawn.
- After the initial load on September 22, load the InterchangeStudentExtension and InterchangeStudentEnrollmentExtension only including any new students with a Crisis Code of 05 that have been enrolled since you last loaded student data.
PEIMS School Start Window Date Change:
In response to the disaster declaration following Hurricane Harvey, the 2017-2018 School-Start Window for returning students is extended and remains open through Friday, October 27, 2017. The extension of the window is effective statewide to accommodate both districts that have not opened or opened late and the enrollment of students who have been displaced into other Texas public schools as a result of the hurricane. Students served in the prior year must return to school by the end of the school-start window to not be considered leavers.
Extending the school-start window requires the following change to Section 8.2.4 PEIMS Student Category Data Submission Requirements of the 2017-2018 Texas Education Data Standards:
Students who on the as-of date:
- Are served only by a public school;
- Are served by both a public and a nonpublic school (including students served under an individualized services plan);
- Are in a special education nonpublic day school;
- Are in a special education residential placement, or;
- Do not fit any of the above situations but were served in grades 7-12 in the LEA at any time during the prior year and do not enroll in the LEA within the school-start window; do not enroll in another Texas public school; do not receive a General Educational Development (GED) certificate within Texas by August 31st; and are not accounted for by other state reconciliation processes.
The PEIMS fall as-of date or the “October snapshot” date, is the last Friday in October.
The school-start window extends from the first day of school through October 27, 2017 the last Friday in September.
Information on 2017-2018 leaver reporting can be found in the 2017-2018 Texas Education Data Standards (http://www.texasstudentdatasystem.org/TSDS/TEDS/TEDS_Latest_Release)..
Please submit questions regarding the TSDS PEIMS submission requirements to the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS), which is available within the TSDS portal. Please direct questions regarding the PEIMS School-Start Window to the Research and Analysis Division at (512) 475-3523 or email@example.com.
Melody Parrish Penny Schwinn
Deputy Commissioner, Technology Deputy Commissioner, Academics
Want to help a Texas school system affected by Hurricane Harvey? Click here to find out how.