June 20, 2019
Class Roster in the Texas Student Data System
Class Roster Update
Share with appropriate staff
As a result of the findings of a sunset review of the collection of teacher classroom link information in the Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS), beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, this data will be collected through the new Texas Student Data System (TSDS) Class Roster Collection. This change is due to the need to collect this data closer to the time in which the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) and end-of-course (EOC) assessments are administered. The Class Roster Collection consists of two submissions, the Class Roster Fall Submission, and Class Roster Winter Submission.
The Class Roster data collection will be made available to local education agencies (LEAs) to submit student and teacher level data in the 2019-2020 school year. For the 2019-2020 school year, data will only be submitted for the Winter Submission. In the 2020-2021 school year and all future years, data will be submitted for both the Fall and Winter Submissions. The Class Roster Winter submission is due on March 19, 2020.
The information below is designed to assist LEAs in the Class Roster data submission process.
Request Roles for Submitting Data
The following TSDS Portal user roles will be used for the Class Roster data collection. The roles allow users to load Class Roster data, validate and complete the data, and submit help desk tickets. The same person may have multiple roles.
- The person designated to load data for Class Roster will request the Operational Data Store (ODS) Data Loader role.
- The person designated to promote/validate the data will request the Class Roster Data Promoter role.
- The person designated to complete the data will request the Class Roster Data Completer role.
- The person designated to request extensions for the Class Roster data collection will request the Class Roster Data Approver role.
- The person designated to only view the reports will request the Class Roster Data Viewer role.
- The person designated to submit help desk tickets through the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS) will request the TIMS L1 Support role.
- The Regional Education Service Center (ESC) staff person designated to monitor or view the LEA Class Roster data collection will request the Class Roster ESC Data Viewer.
These roles can be requested via the TEAL secure portal at https://tealprod.tea.state.tx.us/.
NOTE: A TEAL account that is not linked to an application will be suspended after 90 days of inactivity.
Data Collection Process
- Download the Client Side Validation Tool from the TSDS Portal to validate the extracted TEDS Compliant XML data for Class Roster.
- ODS Data Loader: Upload the data via the Data Transfer Utility (DTU) or manually by logging on to TSDS.
- Class Roster Promoter role: Promote and validate the data for the collection.
- Class Roster Completer role: Once the data has been submitted for the collection and verified, the collection can then be completed.
LEAs should contact their ESCs or a certified vendor for Class Roster training and support. Certified staff have completed training for loading data into the TSDS and will be able to assist in this process. LEAs can begin loading Class Roster data to the eScholar Data Manager (eDM) for 2019-2020 school year beginning on August 5, 2019.
- Training and support for Class Roster Application.
If you have additional questions, please submit a ticket via TIMS, which is available within the TSDS Portal.