December 6, 2018
Applications Open for Joining the System of Great Schools Network
System of Great Schools
Submit Letter of Interest
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is excited to announce the launch of the application to join the 2019 cohort of the System of Great Schools (SGS) Network.
SGS Network Overview
The SGS Network is designed to build the capacity of school districts to create high-quality, best-fit school options for their students, increase the number of students attending highly rated schools and reduce the number of students attending poorly rated schools.
TEA helps SGS districts achieve those goals by supporting the design and implementation of several inter-related strategies, including:
- Manage School Performance: Create and execute an annual school performance review, quality seats analysis, and school action planning cycle
- Expand Great Options: Create an Office of Innovation dedicated to an annual process of incubating and authorizing new schools and programs
- Improve Access to Options: Create tools and processes that help families understand and access the school options provided by the district
Districts selected to the join the SGS Network will receive:
- Consulting support from an experienced executive advisor to help each district plan and execute its individualized SGS strategy
- Access to model policies, process guides, tools, and resources designed to accelerate implementation of the SGS strategy
- Membership in a professional learning community of superintendents and senior staff that come together regularly to build understanding of the SGS strategy, enhance leadership skills, and create connections across districts
- High quality professional development programming to build the capacity of staff in existing or newly created Offices of Innovation
- Opportunity to access SGS related funding opportunities, such as those provided through Senate Bill 1882 and related grant programs, and be connected to supportive philanthropic partners
Thirteen districts are currently members of the SGS Network, ranging in size from Galveston ISD (13 schools) to Pharr San Juan Alamo ISD (44 schools) to San Antonio ISD (94 schools) and Fort Worth ISD (146 schools). SGS districts have designed and launched numerous new schools, including early childhood centers, innovative district schools, district-charter partnerships, and replications of existing successful district schools. Also, the first cohort of SGS districts has generated impressive academic gains, seeing a 47% increase in the number of high performing campuses and a 34% reduction in the number of low performing campuses since joining the network.
All Texas districts interested in pursuing the goals listed above are eligible to apply for the SGS Network.
Application, Review, and Selection Process
SGS Webinar #1
(Optional) Letter of Interest Due
SGS Webinar #2
Interview Invitations Sent
Districts Notified of Selection
Interested districts should review the brief program description linked below and submit an optional, non-binding Letter of Interest via email to email@example.com. Once Letters of Interest are received, the System of Great Schools team will contact district leadership to provide further details about the Network and review application requirements.
Additionally, informational webinars will be held on December 14, 2018 and January 8, 2019. Webinars will review the SGS strategy, SGS Network benefits and expectations, and the application and will include time to ask questions. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat at either webinar. Webinars will also be recorded for those who may not be able to attend.
The Network application and additional resources are linked below and available online at the System of Great Schools website. Applications are due by January 18, 2019 at 5:00PM CST. TEA staff and reviewers will review and score applications and notify selected Network members by March 1, 2019
For additional information or assistance, please contact the SGS team at email@example.com.
We are so grateful for the hard work you do every day for the children of Texas. We look forward to partnering with you to continue to improve outcomes for kids
System of Great Schools Network Application
System of Great Schools Website