Deadline for 2013 AEA Registration:
May 3, 2013 at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
April 24, 2013
TO THE SUPERINTENDENT ADDRESSED:
Subject:AEA Campus Registration for 2013 Accountability Ratings
The 2012–13 alternative education accountability (AEA) campus registration process is open April 24–May 3, 2013. Detailed information on the 2012-13 AEA campus registration process, how to access the Texas Education Agency Secure Environment (TEASE) website, the at-risk registration criterion, the grades 6-12 enrollment criterion, the Final 2013 AEA Campus List, and the Final 2013 AEA Charter Operator List follows.
Please note that per Texas Education Code (TEC) §39.201, alternative education campuses (AECs) evaluated under AEA provisions are not eligible for distinction designations.
2012-13 AEA Campus Registration Process
Accountability decisions for 2013 are finalized and were announced April 23, 2013. AEA campus registration is needed to ensure that AECs serving high populations of at-risk students are evaluated appropriately under 2013 AEA provisions. Accountability decisions for 2013 and other information on the development process are available at the 2013 Accountability site at https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/perfreport/account/2013/index.html.
The AEA campus registration process will be conducted online using electronic forms on the TEASE Accountability website.
- AECs that were rated under 2011 AEA procedures were re-registered automatically in 2013 subject to the 75% at-risk registration criterion and the 50% grades 6-12 enrollment criterion. Please check the 2013 Pre-Registered AEC List to verify that your AECs are pre-registered. The 2013 Pre-Registered AEC List is attached.
- An electronic 2012-13 AEA Campus Rescission Form is required for each AEC that does not wish to continue AEA registration. AECs removed from the pre-registered AEC list will not be evaluated under AEA provisions.
- An electronic 2012-13 AEA Campus Registration Form is required for each AEC that is not already on the pre-registered AEC list but meets the at-risk registration and grades 6-12 enrollment criteria below and wishes to be evaluated under 2013 AEA provisions. An electronic registration form must be submitted for each AEC requesting AEA registration.
- Districts can monitor the approval status of registration and/or rescission requests using the AEA Campus Registration Status Report on the TEASE Accountability website.
The 2012-13 AEA campus registration process closes at 12:00 p.m. (noon) central time on Friday, May 3, 2013. Rescissions and new registrations will not be processed after this time.
How to Access the TEASE Accountability Site
If you already have access to TEASE Accountability, you will see ACCT – Accountability listed as one of the web applications available. Launching ACCT – Accountability will take you into the site. From there, you will be able to click on the AEA tab where the 2013 AEA Campus Registration is available.
Also go to this reference page if you have forgotten or wish to reset your TEASE password. If you are unsure if you already have TEASE access and/or if you have forgotten your TEASE username, email TEA Security at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At-Risk Registration Criterion
In order to be evaluated under 2013 AEA provisions, each registered AEC must have at least 75% at-risk students enrolled on the AEC verified through 2012-13 PEIMS fall enrollment data. The Prior-Year PEIMS At-Risk Safeguard is incorporated for AECs not meeting the at-risk registration criterion. AECs that do not meet the 75% at-risk registration criterion or benefit from the safeguard have been removed from the 2013 Pre-Registered AEC List.
Grades 6-12 Enrollment Criterion
In order to be evaluated under 2013 AEA provisions, each registered AEC must have at least 50% of its students enrolled in grades 6-12 verified through 2012-13 PEIMS fall enrollment data. AECs that do not meet the 50% grades 6-12 enrollment criterion have been removed from the 2013 Pre-Registered AEC List.
Final 2013 AEA Campus List
The Final 2013 AEA Campus List will be available in May. This list will contain AECs on the 2013 Pre-Registered AEC List in addition to AECs that registered for evaluation under 2013 AEA provisions during the 2013 AEA registration process. AECs for which a rescission form was submitted during the AEA registration process will be removed from the 2013 AEA Campus List. Each AEC on the 2013 AEA Campus List must meet the at-risk registration and grades 6-12 enrollment criteria described above.
Final 2013 AEA Charter Operator List
The Final 2013 AEA Charter List will be available in May. The following charter operators will be evaluated under 2013 AEA provisions.
- Charters that operate only registered AECs
- Charters that operate both standard campuses and registered AECs if at least 50% of the students are enrolled at registered AECs (enrollment is verified through 2012-13 PEIMS fall enrollment data)
Charters that operate both standard campuses and registered AECs with fewer than 50% of the students enrolled at registered AECs do not qualify for evaluation under AEA provisions.
If you have any questions regarding the process for registration of campuses for evaluation under 2013 AEA provisions, please contact the Division of Performance Reporting by telephone at (512) 463-9704 or e-mail at Performance.Reporting@tea.texas.gov.
Texas Education Agency
Office of Assessment and Accountability, Criss Cloudt, Associate Commissioner
Division of Performance Reporting, Shannon Housson, Director