March 29, 2016
TO THE SUPERINTENDENT ADDRESSED:
The 2015–16 alternative education accountability (AEA) campus registration process for the state academic accountability system is now open. It closes at noon on Friday, April 8, 2016.
This notice provides information about the following for districts and charters with alternative education campuses that may be eligible for AEA provisions for 2016 state accountability:
- The 2015–16 AEA campus registration process
- The Texas Education Agency Secure Environment (TEASE) Accountability website
- The AEA criteria for at-risk and grades 6–12 enrollment
- The 2016 Final AEA Campus List and 2016 Final AEA Charter List
2015–16 AEA Campus Registration Process
AEA campus registration is filed online using the forms found on the TEASE Accountability website.
- AECs evaluated by AEA provisions in 2015 and that meet the 75 percent at-risk criterion and have at least 50 percent of their students enrolled in grades 6–12 in 2016 are automatically pre-registered for 2016. Please check the attached 2016 Pre-Registered AEC List for the list of pre-registered AECs.
- Filing a 2015–16 AEA Campus Rescission Form is required for each pre-registered AEC that does not wish to be evaluated by AEA provisions in 2016.
- Filing a 2015–16 AEA Campus Registration Form is required for each AEC that is not on the 2016 Pre-Registered AEC List that wishes to be evaluated by AEA provisions in 2016. Filing a registration form is required for each campus requesting AEA registration.
- Districts can monitor the approval status of registrations and/or rescissions using the AEA Campus Registration Status Report on the TEASE Accountability website.
The 2015–16 AEA campus registration process closes at 12:00 p.m. (noon) central time on Friday, April 8, 2016. Rescissions and new registrations will not be processed after registration closes.
How to Access the TEASE Accountability Site
Log onto TEASE at https://seguin.tea.state.tx.us/apps/logon.asp, or if you have migrated your TEASE account to the TEA Login (TEAL) secure portal, log onto https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us.
If you have access to TEASE Accountability, you will see ACCT – Accountability listed as one of the Web applications. Launch ACCT – Accountability and click the ACCT tab to go to the 2016 AEA Campus Registration Process.
Superintendents who do not have access to TEASE Accountability must request a username and password through the TEASE Applications Reference page.
You may also use this reference page to reset your TEASE password. If you are unsure whether you have TEASE access and/or have forgotten your TEASE username, e-mail TEA Security at email@example.com.
In order to be evaluated by 2016 AEA provisions, each registered AEC must have at least 75 percent at-risk student enrollment, as verified through 2015–16 PEIMS fall enrollment data. The Prior-Year PEIMS At-Risk Safeguard is applied for AECs not meeting this criterion. AECs that do not have 75 percent at-risk enrollment or benefit from the safeguard are removed from the 2016 Pre-Registered AEC List.
In order to be evaluated by 2016 AEA provisions, each registered AEC must have at least 50 percent of its students enrolled in grades 6–12, as verified through 2015–16 PEIMS fall enrollment data. AECs that do not have 50 percent grades 6–12 enrollment are removed from the 2016 Pre-Registered AEC List.
Dropout Recovery Schools (DRS)
In accordance with TEC §39.0545(a), an AEC is designated as a DRS if at least 50 percent of the students enrolled are 17 years of age or older as of September 1, 2015.
2016 Final AEA Campus List
The 2016 Final AEA Campus List will be available in May 2016. It will contain AECs on the 2016 Pre-Registered AEC List and AECs that registered during the 2016 AEA registration process and that meet AEA criteria. AECs that file a rescission form will be removed from the 2016 Final AEA Campus List.
Please note that alternative education campuses (AECs) evaluated by AEA provisions are ineligible for distinction designations.
2016 Final AEA Charter List
The 2016 AEA Final Charter List will be available in May 2016. The following charter operators will be evaluated by 2016 AEA provisions:
- Charters that operate only registered AECs
- Charters that operate both non-AEA campuses and registered AECs, if at least 50 percent of the students are enrolled at registered AECs, as verified through 2015–16 PEIMS fall enrollment data
Charters that operate both non-AEA campuses and registered AECs with fewer than 50 percent of the students enrolled at registered AECs do not qualify for evaluation by AEA provisions.
If you have questions regarding the AEA campus registration process, please contact the Division of Performance Reporting at (512) 463-9704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Assessment and Accountability
Attachment – 2016 AEA Preregistered Campus List