Work is under way to create a new Long-Range Plan for Public Education, which is expected to establish goals for Texas public schools through the year 2030.
The State Board of Education (SBOE), which under Texas law is required to adopt a plan, recently appointed the Long-Range Plan for Public Education Steering Committee, based on the advice of The Boston Consulting Group. This 18-member steering committee is made up of state board members, various stakeholder group representatives and representatives from three state agencies.
The steering committee will recommend long-term goals for Texas schools and will identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and challenges of the system.
The steering committee is scheduled to meet in Austin five times during the 2017-2018 school year. The meetings begin at 9 a.m. The meeting dates are:
- Sept. 12 2017 - Travis State Office Building, 1701 N. Congress Ave., Room 104, Austin, Texas
- Nov. 6, 2017 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
- Feb. 21, 2018 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
- April 9, 2018 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
- May 14, 2018 - American Institutes for Research, 4700 Mueller Blvd., Room 108, Austin, Texas
The board is also hosting community meetings around the state to gather comments from Texans.
Those meetings are scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Nov. 2- El Paso Community College, Administration Building Auditorium, 9050 Viscount Blvd., El Paso
- Nov. 14 - Region
7 Education Service Center, Oak Room, 909 North Longview St., Kilgore Free registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-conversation-kilgore-november-14th-tickets-38841583221
- Dec. 5 - Region 11 Education Service Center, Rooms A-D, 1451 S. Cherry Lane, White Settlement Free registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-conversation-fort-worth-december-5th-tickets-39203297117
- Dec. 6 - Dallas County Community College, El Centro West - Multi Purpose Room, 3330 N. Hampton Rd., Dallas Free registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-conversation-dallas-december-6th-tickets-39478972670
- Jan. 9 - Region 20 Education Service Center, 1314 Hines Ave., San Antonio
- Feb. 8 - Region 4 Education Service Center, 7200 Northwest 100 Dr., Region 4 McKinney Conference Center, Rooms A-F, Houston Free registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-conversation-houston-february-8th-tickets-39226591792
Additional community meetings are being scheduled.
The recommendations prepared by the steering committee, as well as results from an online survey and community meetings held around the state, will be considered by the board when it ultimately adopts the long-range plan.
Adoption of a new long-range plan is tentatively scheduled for fall 2018.
Presentations and resources presented to the steering committee
Sept. 12, 2017 meeting
An Assessment of State Plans, Reports, and Data (PDF, 1,149 KB)
A Sampling of Long-Range Plans From Other States
Education and Texas Demographic Characteristics and Trends (PPT)
Education and Texas Demographic Characteristics and Trends (PDF, 7MB)
Development of the Long-Range Plan for Public Education, Phase One Planning Document
Findings of the Ad Hoc Committee
Long-Range Plan for Public Education 2001-2006
Long-Range Plan for Technology 2006-2020