A paraprofessional is an employee of a local education agency who provides instructional support. Duties of a paraprofessional may include (1) providing one-on-one tutoring if such tutoring is scheduled at a time when a student would not otherwise receive instruction from a teacher; (2) assisting with classroom management, such as by organizing instructional materials; (3) providing instructional assistance in a computer laboratory; (4) conducting parental involvement activities; (5) providing instructional support in a library or media center; (6) acting as a translator; or (7) providing instructional support services under the direct supervision of a highly qualified teacher. [Title I, Section 1119(g)(2)]
NCLB requires paraprofessionals assigned to instructional duties on a Title I, Part A Schoolwide served campus or those that have at least part of their salary paid for by Title I, Part A on a Targeted Assistance campus to meet the Paraprofessional Highly Qualified requirements. Requirements include:
- Have completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education [defined as completion of 48 semester hours (or equivalent trimester hours) of college coursework or an applicable number of semester hours as defined by the institution of higher education attended, whichever is less; or
- Have obtained an associate’s (or higher) degree; or
- Have met a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment –
- Knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing, reading, writing, and mathematics; or
- Knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing, reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness, as appropriate.
Paraprofessionals whose duties consist solely of parental involvement activities or translation services are exempt from the qualification requirement.
Highly Qualified Paraprofessional Action Plan (PAP)
Forms and Instructions for the PAP
For additional information, contact:
Division of Educator Initiatives
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701