The Early Childhood Data System (ECDS) formerly known as the Kindergarten Readiness System (KRS) is a new state reporting feature in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS). The ECDS will be used to collect early childhood data to inform school districts, communities, and early childhood programs about the effectiveness of pre-kindergarten programs in preparing children for success in kindergarten under Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.161. ECDS will be introduced in a two-phased approach. In phase one, required kindergarten data will be submitted from June 1 - July 31, 2014, and in phase two, voluntary prekindergarten data will be submitted from August 1 -October 31, 2014.
Pursuant to TEC, §28.006 (Reading Diagnosis) the superintendent, or a designee, of each school district and open-enrollment charter school is required to electronically report each kindergarten student’s raw score on kindergarten beginning of the year (BOY) reading instruments each year. The kindergarten data collected under this provision will be used to provide state, regional, district, and local aggregate reports of prekindergarten and kindergarten programs and certain federal or government-subsidized child care and education programs. In a letter dated October 21, 2013, I reminded districts of the statutory requirement to collect this data and advised that data should be retained for submission to the state at a later date.
Districts administering one of the reading assessments below will be required to provide beginning of year kindergarten data electronically in the ECDS for the 2013-2014 school year:
- AIMSweb MIDE
- AIMSweb TEL
- Children’s Progress Academic Assessment(CPAA)
- Diagnostic Assessments of Reading, 2nd Edition(DAR-2)
- Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills, 6th Edition (DIBELS-6)
- Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills, Next (DIBELS Next)
- Fox in a Box
- Istation’s Indicators of Progress (ISIP)
- Istation’s Indicators of Progress (ISIP-Spanish)
- PAPI English/Spanish
- Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening(PALS)
- STAR Early Literacy
- Texas Primary Reading Inventory (TPRI)
- Tejas LEE
- Vital Indicators of Progress (VIP)
The kindergarten data submission will be available beginning June 1, 2014 and continuing through July 31, 2014. There will not be an opportunity to submit kindergarten data after the deadline.
The information below is designed to assist districts in the ECDS data submission process.
Data Entry Process
- The LEA will request two user roles in the ECDS, one to load data and one to approve data.
- The person designated to load data will request the ODS Data Loader role via the TEA Login (TEAL) secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/. (LEAs participating in the TSDS studentGPS™ Dashboards early adoption already have a user with this role.) This is a TSDS Portal role and also provides access to the TSDS Data Transfer Utility (DTU).
- The person designated to approve the data will request the ECDS Data Approver role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/. This is a TSDS Portal role.
- Download the ECDS Collection Template from the Texas Education Data Standards Section 10 – TSDS Core Collections.
- If you are not a TSDS Early Adopter LEA, you will need to enter data for the Kindergarten worksheet and then proceed to step 3.
- If you are a TSDS Early Adopter LEA, you are already submitting the student’s demographic data to the ODS using the TSDS Collection.
If the LEA does not submit the TEDS compliant assessment interchanges for their designated BOY reading instrument, then the LEA would need to enter data for the Assessment worksheet and then proceed to step 3.
If the assessment vendor has provided the LEA with the TEDS compliant assessment interchanges for their designated BOY reading instrument, then the LEA will proceed to step 4.
- Download the Client Side Validation/Conversion tool from the TSDS Portal to convert the LEA’s ECDS data to the TEDS Compliant XML interchanges and validate the converted data.
- Upload data via the DTU or manually by logging on to TSDS with the ODS Data Loader role.
- Have the ECDS Data Approver review the LEA Completion Report and approve/finalize the ECDS Data collection.
Districts should contact their regional education service center (ESC) for ECDS training and support. Staff in all 20 ESCs have already completed training for TSDS and data loading and are able to assist LEAs in this process. At this time, districts can begin entering their ECDS data in the ECDS Collection Template so that when the ECDS collection opens, the files are ready to be uploaded. If an ESC enters and/or loads the data for the district, district staff will still need to approve/finalize data in ECDS and will need the ECDS Data Approver role to do so.
TEDS Section 10 - TSDS Core Collections
An LEA is exempt from the ECDS state reporting if they are using assessments other than those listed above for kindergarten student diagnostics. The LEA should notify TEA of its choice of diagnostic by email and must also retain the assessment data should the TEA decide to collect at a later date
If you have additional questions about the policy requirements of TEC, §28.006, please contact Howard Morrison, statewide coordinator for early childhood education, via email at email@example.com. All technical questions should be submitted via the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS), available within the ECDS application.