October 22, 2013
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
SUBJECT: 2014–2015 Annual Survey of Children in Local Residential Facilities for the Neglected/Delinquent (SC9000)
The purpose of this letter is to notify local educational agencies (LEAs) that the 2014–2015 Annual Survey of Children in Local Residential Facilities for the Neglected/Delinquent (SC9000) is available for completion in eGrants as of October 22, 2013. To be eligible to receive funding under Title I, Part A (neglected facilities) and/or Title I, Part D, Subpart 2 (delinquent facilities), LEAs must meet at least one of the following criteria:
• Must serve student(s) who live in a residential facility for the neglected or delinquent
• Must have a residential facility for the neglected or delinquent located within its boundaries
• Must be an open-enrollment charter school that either operates a residential facility for the neglected or delinquent or provides educational services to students who live in such a facility
In addition, eligible LEAs must complete and submit the SC9000 in eGrants by 5:00 p.m. Central Time, December 2, 2013. LEAs that fail to meet this deadline will not be eligible for funding in school year 2014–2015 for students from this target population.
Applicable LEAs are those that provide education or educational support services to children who live in residential facilities for the neglected or delinquent, as described in the preceding section.
No action is required of LEAs that meet any of the following criteria:
• LEA serves no students who live in a residential facility for the neglected or delinquent
• LEA does not have a residential facility for the neglected or delinquent located within its boundaries
• LEA is an open-enrollment charter school that either does not operate a residential facility for the neglected or delinquent or does not provide educational services to students who live in such a facility
Accessing the SC9000
The SC9000 is an eGrants Special Collections report that LEAs access through the Texas Education Agency Secure Environment (TEASE) at https://seguin.tea.state.tx.us/apps/logon.asp:
1. From the Application List, select eGrants.
2. Open the “Available Grant Programs in eGrants” drop-down list.
3. Select the entry titled “2014–2015 NCLB Consolidated Federal Grant Application.”
4. Open form description “2014–2015 SC9000 Annual Survey of Children in Local Residential Facilities for the Neglected/Delinquent.”
Completing the SC9000
To complete the SC9000, the applicable LEA must contact the administrator(s) of the residential facility to collect the information required to provide the following:
1. Verification there is no change to pre-populated data for the following fields:
• Facility Name
• Facility Mailing Address
• Independent School District (ISD) boundary where facility is located
• Type of Facility
o Neglected—A neglected facility is a public or private residential facility (i.e., one where children are under 24-hour care) operated primarily for the care of children who have been committed to, or voluntarily placed in, the facility because of abandonment, neglect, or death of parents.
o Delinquent—A delinquent facility is a public or private residential facility (i.e., one where children are under 24-hour care) operated primarily for the care of children who have been adjudicated delinquent or are in need of supervision.
• Legal or Administrative basis (i.e., licensed by)
2. Report the October 2013 Caseload Information (note exclusion below)
• Enter the number of children meeting the following criteria:
o Resided in the facility for at least one day during the month of October 2013
o Ages 5 to 17, inclusive
• Exclude from the count children under the conservatorship of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
• Answer question #2, to fulfill the US Department of Education requirement for an explanation of any increase or decrease of 25 children or more from the prior year submission.
Ensure auditable documentation has been verified that supports the neglected or delinquent residential facility’s October 2013 caseload data. This verification is required of the LEA before the LEA certifies and submits the SC9000.
Updates to the SC9000
To request a change to prepopulated SC9000 facility information, remove a facility due to closure or change in LEA service provider, or add a new residential facility, email the Division of Grants Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, contact Annie Molina in the Division of Grants Administration at (512) 463-8525.
Senior Director, Division of Grants Administration