This letter is to inform you of recent changes to the Office for Grants and Fiscal Compliance and its three divisions. These changes were made because of changes to the organizational structure at the Texas Education Agency (TEA), and became effective November 1, 2012.
Change to Department Name
To reflect its modified responsibilities, the name of the department has changed to the Office for Grants and Federal Fiscal Compliance.
Division of Financial Audits
The Division of Financial Audits is no longer part of the Office for Grants and Federal Fiscal Compliance and no longer exists as a division at the agency. The functions related to state funds and requirements have moved to the new Office of the Chief School Finance Officer. The functions related to federal subrecipient monitoring have moved to the new Division of Federal Fiscal Monitoring discussed below.
Division of Federal Fiscal Compliance and Reporting
The Division of Federal Program Compliance has changed to the Division of Federal Fiscal Compliance and Reporting. This division will be responsible for the following functions:
- Federal reporting requirements under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA).
- Federal reporting requirements under the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (FFATA).
- Monitoring grant subrecipients for compliance with comparability of services requirements under Title I, Part A of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB).
- Monitoring subrecipients of NCLB, Title I and Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Part B (IDEA-B) grants for compliance with maintenance of effort requirements under NCLB.
- Assigning annual indirect cost rates for local educational agencies.
- Managing fiscal matters related to grants, including cash management, expenditure reporting, and grant close-out.
Division of Federal Fiscal Monitoring
In addition, a new division has been created called the Division of Federal Fiscal Monitoring. The division will be responsible for the following functions:
- Monitoring the expenditures of federal grant subrecipients for compliance with various fiscal requirements.
- Conducting financial reviews of federal grant subrecipients to ensure that federal awards are used for authorized purposes in compliance with laws, regulations, and the provisions of contracts or grant agreements.
Division of Grants Administration
The department continues to house the Division of Grants Administration. The responsibilities of this division include:
- Determining and implementing entitlements and allocations for formula funding.
- Collaborating with program divisions to determine the use of discretionary funds and to identify and approve formula-funded projects.
- Developing and publishing grant applications.
- Conducting the competitive grant review process.
- Negotiating submitted grant applications.
- Assisting subrecipients in the use of grant systems, such as eGrants and the expenditure reporting (ER) system.
If you have questions about any of these changes or need more information about the Office for Grants and Federal Fiscal Compliance, please contact us at (512) 463-8992 or firstname.lastname@example.org.