September 27, 2012
TO THE CHARTER SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED
Subject: 2012-2013 Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is required by Texas Education Code (TEC), §12.119(b) and 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC), §100.101 to collect information each year about the board members and school officers of charter schools. The 2012-2013 Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools, adopted by the State Board of Education (SBOE) on July 20, 2012, will be used to gather the required information and must be submitted to the Charter School Administration Unit no later than Thursday, November 1, 2012. Failure to completely and accurately submit the required information by the deadline may impact future requests for charter amendments. Additionally, you must meet this deadline in order to ensure that your school information will be updated in the upcoming release of the Texas School Directory.
Beginning in 2012-2013, the Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schoolsmust be submitted electronically through the Charter School Tracking System (CSTS) and no longer will be accepted in paper format. The CSTS application is only available through the Texas Education Agency Login (TEAL), which will replace the Texas Education Agency Secure Environment (TEASE). TEAL provides more flexible secure access to TEA applications. Eventually, all TEA applications will use TEAL. Information about applying for a TEAL account, and answers to questions about both of the TEA’s secure environments, can be found at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index4.aspx?id=2147505323. This letter is your notification that you may now apply for access to CSTS and that CSTS is open for you to enter and submit your governance information.
You must have a TEAL account to gain access to CSTS. Once you have a TEAL account, you will be able to request access to CSTS. Each charter school is required to establishtwo individual TEAL accounts, one individual account for the Charter Data Entry User role to enter the required information and one individual account for the Charter Approver role for the superintendent to approve and submit the forms to the TEA. Please note that the attached instructions provided with this letter include a list of all of the information that the Charter Data Entry User must have for entering the governance information into CSTS.
In addition, be aware that, upon submission of the required automated forms, the Charter Approver (i.e. superintendent) must certify to the TEA that:
- All governing board members and school officers submitting forms have signed and dated corresponding paper copies of their forms;
- Signed and dated forms are maintained in the state of Texas, on-site at the charter school or the charter district office, as required by 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §100.1203(a)(3), for a minimum of five years;
- Signed and dated forms will be made available immediately to any TEA employee or agent of the TEA who, during a visit, requests to view them on-site, and/or signed forms will be sent to the TEA for review within three business days upon request by TEA staff;
- All current fingerprinting and criminal record checks are available for all employees, including contract employees; volunteers who indicated in writing their intention to serve; board members; and officers of the charter holder who are not on the board, in compliance with Texas Education Code (TEC) §§12.1059, 22.0832-22.0835; and
- In compliance with TEC §12.120, no individual is serving in any capacity if he or she has been convicted of a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude; a felony; an offense listed in
TEC §37.007(a); or an offense listed in Article 62.001(5) Code of Criminal Procedures.
In order to ensure that each annual submission of charter holder board member information submitted to the TEA matches the information currently registered with the Secretary of State (SOS), and to ensure that this information reflects the correct current composition of the charter holder board, please review the management information on file with the SOS. You can locate this information by entering the SOSDirect website at http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/sosda/index.shtml, creating an account, clicking on the heading labeled Business Organizations, entering the charter holder name under Find Entity, and reviewing the names under the section titled Management.
TEC §12.119(a) also requires that a charter file with the SBOE a copy of its articles of incorporation and bylaws, or comparable documents, if the charter holder does not have articles of incorporation or bylaws on file. If current copies of the articles of incorporation and/or the bylaws are already on file with the Charter School Administration Unit, a copy of any amendments or changes must be submitted.
Should you have questions pertaining to the 2012-2013 Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools, please contact me by phone at (512) 463-9575, ext. 3 or by email at email@example.com.
Kathryn Jones, Program Specialist
Charter School Administration Unit