September 24, 2012
TO THE CHARTER SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
SUBJECT: Special Charter School Report of Students Enrolled and Students with Disabilities Receiving Special Education Services through Public Law 108-446 (Newly Opened Charter Schools)
The purpose of this letter is to request child count data from officials of newly opened charter schools to determine eligibility for 2012–2013 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Part B (IDEA-B) grant funds. This submission is available for newly opened charter schools that provide special education services to eligible students with disabilities based on current Full and Individual Evaluations (FIEs) and Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). The instructions for this data report are enclosed to provide information detailing how to enter, certify, and submit the child counts.
The data report must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. Central Time, October 22, 2012.
Reporting Child Count Data through eGrants
The child count data must be reported in the eGrants system, which may be accessed through the Texas Education Agency Secure Environment (TEASE) at https://seguin.tea.state.tx.us/apps/logon.asp. Each charter school is assigned a TEASE account through the charter school setup process at the Texas Education Agency. Please email Computer Access at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with your security access.
The reporting system will be available in eGrants from October 1, 2012, through 5:00 p.m. Central Time on October 22, 2012. Child count data must be reported during this period of availability through the eGrants Special Collections, 2012–2013 Special Education Data Request—Newly Opened form.
Applicants may locate the eGrants 2012–2013 form as follows:
- Access eGrants via TEASE.
- From the drop-down list, select the 2012–2013 Special Education Consolidated Grant Application.
- Under Special Collections, select the 2012–2013 Special Education Data Request—Newly Opened.
Newly opened charter schools must use the eGrants 2012–2013 Special Education Charter Data Request – Newly Opened form to report basic school information and the number of identified students with disabilities enrolled and receiving special education services as of October 1, 2012. The following sections are available for data collection:
- Part 3, Eligible Students Served in Special Education Programs is used to report students with disabilities served through Public Law 108-446 (also known as IDEA-B). Each charter school should enter the information using school and student information from that individual charter school. Enrolled students with disabilities receiving services are to be counted only once.
- Part 4, Supplemental Information is used to report the total number of students enrolled in the charter school, the total number of students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch, what grade levels the charter school is currently teaching, and the actual opening date of the charter school. The counts reported in this section apply to the general population of the individual charter school.
- Part 5, Report Submission Authorization is used to certify the information reported on the 2012–2013 Special Education Charter Data Request – Newly Opened form. Certification requires the entry of the name of the person preparing the report in addition to the name, email address, and phone number of the person certifying the report.
For Assistance or Further Information
For assistance in completing the data collection form, refer to the Report Instructions for the Special Education Charter Data Request, available through eGrants, or contact your regional education service center. If additional assistance is required, email the Division of Grants Administration at GAFPC@tea.texas.gov.
Senior Director, Division of Grants Administration