Microsoft Word Version
February 17, 2012
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
SUBJECT: Principal Surveys to Evaluate Texas Educator Preparation Programs
Texas Education Code (TEC) 21.045 passed by the 81st Texas Legislature and Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Chapter 229, Accountability System for Educator Preparation Programs require new standards for accountability of Texas educator preparation programs and the level of preparation provided to future educators.
To meet the new accountability standards, principals are required to complete a survey distributed by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). Every principal who has 1st year, 2nd year and 3rd year teachers on his or her campus are required to complete a brief survey. The survey will collect data regarding:
- the performance of beginning teachers,
- the educator preparation program’s effectiveness in preparing beginning teachers to succeed in the classroom, and
- achievement, including improvement in achievement, of students taught by beginning teachers for the first three years following certification.
Prior to the distribution of the survey, superintendents, principals, human resource directors or staff responsible for personnel will receive additional information and training about how to complete and submit the surveys.
IMPORTANT: To assure that all principals have access the survey, instructions, and scheduled trainings, please update the following information in AskTED:
- Email address for the superintendent
- Email address for the human resource director or staff member responsible for personnel
- Email address for the principal
All emails must be updated in AskTED by March 10, 2012, so that training can be scheduled and all participants can be contacted.
The TEA will begin the survey collection on April 9, 2012. All surveys must be submitted by June 15, 2012.
Thank you for helping us prepare future teachers in Texas!
Janice Lopez, Ph.D
Director of Educator Certification and Standards
Texas Education Agency