The State Waivers Unit of the Texas Education Agency is responsible for
the coordination of expedited and general state waivers and class size
exceptions. See Texas Education Code (TEC) §7.056, Waivers & Exemptions, for rules.
2017-2018 Applications will be available on the following dates:
|General & Expedited ||July 10, 2017|
|Attendance (Missed School Day, Low Attendance) ||August 1, 2017|
|Class Size||September 1, 2017|
Please note that once the new waiver year opens, the current 2015-2016 year waivers are no longer available.
Waiver Application Enhancements Coming Soon!
The current waiver system will be moving to a new look and more user friendly application. The switch over to the new application will take place on June 28, 2017. The current system will be disabled on June 20, which means that June 19 will be the last day a district/charter can submit or apply for waivers using the current system. Any waiver that a district has in progress should be submitted to the agency no later than June 19, as incomplete waivers will not transfer over to the new system. When the enhanced system opens on June 28, districts may submit 2016-2017 waivers. The 2017-2018 general waiver application will open on July 10, 2017.
This TEA Waiver Quick Reference Video Tutorial will guide users through the enhanced system and highlight new features.
Most waiver types are placed into one of four categories:
- Expedited Waivers are waivers that require basic information from the district.
- General Waivers are waivers that require detailed information surrounding the district's waiver request.
- Attendance Waivers include Missed Instructional Days and Low Attendance Days waivers. The district or campus can request a waiver for excused absences if instructional days are missed or if attendance is low due to weather, health, or safety issues.
- Maximum Class Size Exception is required under the provision of TEC §25.112 if any class for grades K-4 exceeds the allowable class size limit of 22 students per class (22:1). An exemption expires at the end of the school year for which it is granted.
- Other Waivers are specific requests that do not fall under any of the above categories.
This table shows the different waiver types and links to their description:
TEAL Access Instructions
A one time waiver for the 2016-2017 school year for prekindergarten programs will be automatically granted to prekindergarten programs. Contact information: email@example.com for additional information.
Waivers Online Report - Displays the Status of Waiver Requests