The State Waivers Unit of the Texas Education Agency is responsible for
the coordination of expedited and general state waivers and class size
exceptions. See Texas Education Code (TEC) §7.056, Waivers & Exemptions, for rules.
2016-2017 Applications will be available on the following dates:
|General & Expedited ||June 20, 2016|
|Attendance (Missed School Day, Low Attendance) ||August 1, 2016|
|Class Size||September 1, 2016|
Please note that once the new waiver year opens, the current 2015-2016 year waivers are no longer available.
Most waiver types are placed into one of four categories:
- Expedited Waivers are waivers that require basic information from the district.
- General Waivers are waivers that require detailed information surrounding the district's waiver request.
- Attendance Waivers include Missed Instructional Days and Low Attendance Days waivers. The district or campus can request a waiver for excused absences if instructional days are missed or if attendance is low due to weather, health, or safety issues.
- Maximum Class Size Exception is required under the provision of TEC §25.112 if any class for grades K-4 exceeds the allowable class size limit of 22 students per class (22:1). An exemption expires at the end of the school year for which it is granted.
- Other Waivers are specific requests that do not fall under any of the above categories.
This table shows the different waiver types and links to their description:
TEAL Access Instructions
A one time waiver for the 2016-2017 school year for prekindergarten programs will be automatically granted to prekindergarten programs. Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Waivers Online Report - Displays the Status of Waiver Requests